• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by glassalli

1. G

Farm Street Hockley

I used to order from a builders merchant in Farm St, T&W Brough, Mr Wallace Brough a real gentleman.
  2. G

Rover Sd1

The V8 engine came from the Acocks green factory, other parts Tysley, Perrybar and Greet
  3. G

Bier Keller

Re: Bier kella I know on several saturday nights we did go to a bier kellar, but singing ein prosit every few minutes got boring so we stopped going.
  4. G

Make do and Mend

We cut the ends off tubes. I recently did this with a tube of hand cream got three more weeks use. The amount thrown away is shocking but manufacturers must laugh all the way to the bank.
  5. G

Small Heath Park (Victoria Park)

It could be Scots cycles, when I was fourteen I paid weekly for a racing bike they built it in the shop. It was just opposite the Co op
  6. G

Sons Of Rest

The one in Oaklands was just inside the Holder Rd gate, just behind it was the putting green. The park keeper wouldn't let you play near the building. My grandfather was I believe the secretary of one somehwhere in Birmingham, as times where hard they had to enforce a one cake only rule with a...
  7. G

Coventry road Police station.

I remember in the late fifties going to a birthday party in one of the four houses that formed part of Hay Mills police station. I think the boy had 7 or 8 brothers and sisters, and that at least one other family was as large. The house was on three floors, there was 4 p[olice flats in Kathleen...
  8. G

Yardley Cricket Club

I remember my uncle taking me to a number of cricket matches played on Henry Road playing fields and also Oaklands,in the 1960s and remember a Brian Lloyd who lived in Hay Mills.
  9. G

Roast chestnut vendor !!

In the 1950'ss there was a hot potato man at the top of Carrs lane I think he sold chestnuts as well. I remember in winter people used to stand near his oven to keep warm waiting for one of the buses that started there. I dont think my mom ever bought one from him, because there always seemed...
  10. G

Our childhood toys

My friends and I built a trolley, it was mainly the parts of a pram and a plank of wood, steering was by rope. We used to hurtle down the hill at quite a speed, our braking system required a 45 degree turn onto a path leading into a little grove,usually resulting in the trolley tipping over onto...
  11. G

Sweeneys , tv rentals

we rented a TV from Sweeny's I think it was an 18" they gave us Portable free as part of the deal. They had a shop in Sheldon next to whats now Iceland. We always had the same service engineer, and he always turned up at the time we agreed.
  12. G

factory fire service

The Rover at Woodcock Lane also had a fire crew and they had to suffer a lot of jokes when the brigade from Acocks Green arrived to deal with a fire in Machine tool repair before them. I remember the aftermath of the Solihull fire the insurance company insisted that all wooden desks and...
  13. G

Weather : past adverse weather in Birmingham

I was at school in 63 one lunch time I fell sliding on the ice, I have a scar just above my right eye to remind me of how I landed. I was patched up in the secretary's office taken home in the headmasters car. My mom took me straight up to Doctors at the Swan who stitched it there and then.
  14. G

Sheldon

It was a post office on the Coventry Road with the sorting office at the back with the entrance in Willard Road, and I think one of the Donovan brothers was one of the doctors used by the Post Office.
  15. G

Birmingham Newspapers

I remmember the ratch and mail cry as I thought the seller was saying, he had a pitch at the Swan to catch the eleven and fifty eight bus passengers.
Back