• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Glarney

1. Glarney

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

I agree it was certainly a tense episode last night, with so many twists and turns in the story, and I didn’t see the outcome of the jewel theft coming! Fancy stealing from your own family like that!! But how long will we have to wait to find out the fortunes of the Shelbys now, what with so...
  2. Glarney

Membership Titles

Grateful thanks to Warren and Jim for reinstating ‘custom titles’. I’m one happy ‘Proper Brummie Kid’ now! Glad to see OldBrit in Exile is happy as well, what with the birthday greeting he received from the Forum. Many happy returns of the day OldBrit, hope you have a good one.
  3. Glarney

The True Horrors Of Ww2

Although too young to remember the events of this day in 1944, the Normandy landings were obviously crucial in turning the tide of the War. The lives lost then, so that freedom could be returned to continental Europe and Nazism defeated, should never be forgotten.
  4. Glarney

Membership Titles

Many thanks for looking into this Warren. So it does seem that it’s possible to set this function, the only thing is, like Phil, I can’t find “user options” on my account either. Could this be something that only you can see as an administrator? If you find you can set members’ titles, could...
  5. Glarney

To be frank I thought last night’s offering was corking, though the ‘adult scenes’ were certainly a little too graphic and I can see how they could quite easy offend. Tom Hardy’s portrayal of Alfie Solomons, was, as ever, excellent, but the part that made me laugh was near the beginning. It’s...
  6. Glarney

Programme About The Midlands

I have now had the chance to listen to all five programmes in Helen Castor’s radio series ‘England: Made in the Middle’, which Maria mentioned, and personally thought they were very interesting. I didn’t know Helen Castor grew up in Leamington Spa, and so it’s good to have her stand up for the...
  7. Glarney

birmingham 1969-73

Got my copy of the June issue of the Brummagme Magazine today, and, as I've noted here, can highly recommend Mike's article based on his photos of Balsall Heath in the 1970s.
  8. Glarney

June 2016 edition Mikejee’s Balsall Heath As It Was article

Just wanted to draw the Forum's attention to Mike Jee's excellent article in the June issue of Carl Chinn's Brummagem, based on photographs he took of the area back in the early 1970s. The article is very well written, and obviously contains the results of a great deal of background research...
  9. Glarney

Membership Titles

How come some members have tailor-made titles under their avatars, but many others only say ‘Member’ or ‘Well-Known Member’? I can understand the moderators having ‘Super Moderator’, but some other members seem to have been able to set their titles. Is there some way I can select a title for...
  10. Glarney

Interesting interview with Steven Knight on the Historia site here, where it talks about him saying in the past how “the final episode will end with the first air raid siren of WW2”, so seems like there’s still a way to go yet.
  11. Glarney

Birmingham Arms In Digbeth

I believe where the Drovers’ Arms once stood is shown here on Google Earth. The present building is part of the South & City College, opposite the multi-story car park already mentioned, which is on the site of what was the Birmingham Arms.
  12. Glarney

Programme About The Midlands

Thanks for this, not often you get something specifically on the English Midlands. Sounds as though it will be interesting, so will try and listen when I can. I like Helen Castor, and enjoyed both of her BBC 4 series: ‘She-Wolves: England’s Early Queens’ and ‘Medieval Lives: Birth, Marriage...
  13. Glarney

Thanks for the confirmation of the pub’s location on the old 1950s map. As has been said, shame it’s no longer there as it did look like a grand building. Looks like it was across the road from the Drovers’ Arms, a photo of which, taken by Phyllis Nicklin, can be found here.
  14. Glarney

birmingham 1969-73

You’ll find Carl Chinn’s Brummagem Magazine website here. Nothing yet about the June issue, but you can get in touch with then through this page.
  15. Glarney

I was wondering where it was too, so thanks for that. Tremendous photo by the way.
Back