• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Gillian Atkins

1. Gillian Atkins

Hurst Lane, Castle Bromwich

Hi Kate I found this weblink that might have a couple of photos for you :) https://bit.ly/maedoU
  2. Gillian Atkins

Looking for a print of Bull Ring by Robert Calvert

Hi Steve Not sure if you are fond of using auction sites but I found this link. It might be useful to you if you don't mind using and are prepared to wait for the auction to come around in March. https://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewLot.aspx?LotId=135648&Section=1219 Gillian
  3. Gillian Atkins

dunlop xmas party..

In the photograph, the man on the left with the party hat, leaning over was my Dad and I'm the little one half hidden. He worked at Dunlop for 30 or so years in B Block and always helped organise the Christmas party. His name was Sid Atkins if anyone remembers him..I guess the chairs are empty...
  4. Gillian Atkins

Area bound by Temple Row Cherry St Corporation St Crooked Lane Bull St

I've just come across this thread, and will come back tomorrow to read through all of the posts. Fantastic information thank you all for posting :-)
  5. Gillian Atkins

MY Profile Not sure if this is the correct place to put it.

Hi David, thank you for posting your story, I enjoyed reading it very much:-) My life feels very boring by comparison!
  6. Gillian Atkins

Rembrandt

Thanks for posting Brumgum :) Absolutely amazing..His eyes and facial features have such depth and expression, amazing. They look more like photographs than paintings. What a talent some of these artists had :):) Thanks again..
  7. Gillian Atkins

Old tv programmes

Some of my favourites : The Champions The Invaders The Saint The Persuaders Batman and Robin Tiswas Magpie Steptoe and Son The Partridge Family Here Come The Double Deckers - incidentally, Peter Firth now plays Harry in Spooks The Banana Splits Starsky and Hutch Department S Mind Your Language...
  8. Gillian Atkins

My Dad

ooooh I so want to join in with this great thread and post some photos of my lovely dad too :):) The last but one is of my Mom, Dad and two older brothers :)
  9. Gillian Atkins

First Film Your Parent Took You To See

My Mom took me to see The Sound of Music at the Gaumont Cinema, I still love the film now :-)
  10. Gillian Atkins

New Website

Thank you for the link Wendy :):)
  11. Gillian Atkins

Aston's Art

WOW:):) What great talant both of you have. Have missed this thread previously, but have really enjoyed looking at the artwork :) Eric, I love the picture Aswan, it's fantastic.....:):)
  12. Gillian Atkins

Post Office Factory. Fordrough Lane

Hi there, no David wouldn't have been old enough to have played in 1956, he would have been 11. I think he has a press cutting, I'll email him and ask him if he's still got it. :-)
  13. Gillian Atkins

old brum mag pics..

Thank you Lyn, the pictures are amazing. Can't wait for more!! Looking at the back to back houses makes you realise how clean the National Trust back to back houses in Hurst Street are......
  14. Gillian Atkins

'Terms' children use

Hi Everyone When I was little my Mom used to correct me if I ever said 'winda' instead of 'window'. I applied the same logic to a banana......and called it a bananow.....:D
  15. Gillian Atkins

Lar Pom

Have never heard of La Pom before, but I quite like it and might start to use it:-) My Dad used to call it the 'Cahzi' and my Mom always told him off!
Back