• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by George1468

1. G

GEC WITTON WORKS

Message for Ray Griffiths and a few others. Bob Ash joined Birmingham City Police and I worked with him for a number of years in Handsworth. He is now retired but has become a Vicar.
  2. G

Where did you live

Hi Reynolds, I am a Scots Guardsman (1953/1957) just a little younger that you. Born Pype Hayes, after 6 months to Brantley Road, Caterham, Pirbright, Caterham, London St James area, Lydd,Kent., Hockley, Perry Barr, Erdington, Sutton Coldfield. Still a member of SG Association. George
  3. G

Appeal for info re the Towers Pub, Great Barr in the 70's

Hi Sam, I can confirm that it is Bob Sturdy. Bob was in the 'C' Division (Police) team that I played in for many years. I have looked at the rest but cannot name any more. I Used the pup from time to time and knew your dad. Regards George.
  4. G

Tame Road Witton

Hi Rob, No - I remember the Tustin family. George is Not my first name. G.Thu......d from 68. George
  5. G

Tame Road Witton

Hi Robb128. Yes you are correct. Left Deykin Av.School about 1951. Regards, George.
  6. G

Tame Road Witton

Hi Chipito, I went to school with Angus in the late forties and early fifties. Didn't your granddad sell the newspapers ?., Regards George
  7. G

Tame Road Witton

I remember Brian Baker. He was good on the ivories (Piano) I remember. I have not seen him since I left Deykin Avenue school in 1951. Whatever happened to him ?., Regards George (Not my birth name)
  8. G

Tame Road Witton

Hi Shere, was the lad at the front of pictures 1 and 3 Harry. If so was he in the Boys Brigade. Sorry I cannot recall his surname. I lived at 68 Brantley Road. Regards George
  9. G

Coffee Bars:

Hi Astonian, late 70's the landlord was Tommy Breen an Albion fanatic, he later moved to a pub in Hamstead after ill health. I had some long hours in there. Regards George
  10. G

Coffee Bars:

Re my previous reply No 37. My brain has at last switched into gear. The place as stated was run by Van Hagen and was called the La Fiesta. After reopening it had another name. I cannot help any more. Regards George.
  11. G

Ironmongers

Adams ironmongers, Sutton Coldfield, close to Coles Lane by the Odeon.
  12. G

Police Service Records

Fatboy., send me a private email I may be able to help you. Regards George
  13. G

Perry Barr Estate

I lived in Wrekin Road, backing onto the Jewish cemetery. This area was an Erdington address. Also living next door to me was a family named Byrne. The lady of the house was the daughter of a builder who built our houses. I do not know if he built the whole area. (I doubt it). Her house was a...
  14. G

Street furniture

I remember being at this Police 'phone in New John Street talking to a bobby from the 'A' Division, where the Police pillar stood. The opposite side of the road was 'C' Division, which I was posted to. About 1am, a car pulled up, My Chief Supt., pulled up and gave me a right 'Rollocking' for...
  15. G

Street furniture

It's the ambulance that they kept on site, for customers, after having been told the price of their cars.
Back