• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by geofred

1. G

Prefabs in Queens Road, Yardley

I lived in Hob Moor Road from 1940 until 1960 and do remember the prefabs. They backed onto Oaklands Rec'. There were about 12 houses which occupied the area from Hob Moor Croft towards the 'Rec' then the prefabs began opposite Hythe Grove and continued to Holder Road. I am sure they went up...
  2. G

Church Road, Yardley.

Susan D have you thought the venue could be Church Road School rather than Hob Moor Road? They are both close to the area - just a thought!!!
  3. G

Church Road, Yardley.

I attended Hob Moor Road school from 1945 - 1950/1. I remember the reception teacher was Miss Eamer. She gave me a smack on my first day as by lunch time I thought that I had been to school, so went home! My sister marched me back and the smack was my reward. I also remember Mrs Davies, Mr...
  4. G

Church Road, Yardley.

oldbrit, was the road you were thinking of The Causeway? I am certain it was first on the right going towards the Swan from the Yew Tree and just past the field/barracks which was opposite Harvey Road.
  5. G

Prefabs

That island brings back some memories! I was learning to drive and almost went into the brickwork going round this one as I had not got the hang of steering at the time!!
  6. G

Church Road, Yardley.

The travel agent was Bill Simmonds trading as W .T. Simmonds he also owned the newsagents next door. He ran it with his wife and they had a daughter but I cannot remember her name. Bill died young due to all the Senior Service he smoked and his wife continued with the business for a while. I...
  7. G

Hobbies 2015 - 2019

In the past had out 10 inch blades from Machine Mart. geofred
  8. G

Holborn waste

Arnie Hall no longer is involved with Holborn Waste. The company went bust a while ago and was taken over by another company.
  9. G

Moat Lane Yardley

Doctor Kalra also had a surgery at 533 Hob Moor Road. It appeared to be a private semi but he had the front room downstairs as his surgery and used the occupants dining room for the waiting room. I think they only paid a small rent but also acted as caretakers/cleaners for the premises.
  10. G

Edward Albert Newton

'evening Chinch, I have concentrated on the Newton line and have little on this branch of the family as they are rather distant. I know that in 1939 Edward was a general labourer and he and his wife Gladys lived with his mother and step father in Highbury Road, Kings Heath. I found the family in...
  11. G

Edward Albert Newton

Edward Albert Newton born 6 August 1912 was my 4th cousin. He was the 6th child of Harry Newton 1880-1914 and Maria Sedgley 16 October 1878, remarried 1916, died 1955. I have information going back should you require more would be happy to share among the family!
  12. G

"the Rock" Public House, Alum Rock Road.

My grandfather was a 'regular' at The Rock during the 1940's and 1950's and most likely before that. He was hit by a car outside the Rock in October 1959 - the driver did not stop Grandad died as a result of his injuries.
  13. G

Church Road, Yardley.

In the early '50's the chippy was run by Mr & Mrs Yardley. They appeared to be a very pleasant elderly couple to me, I must have been all of 12 or 13 and went there every Friday evening after Guides for 3d of chips please! On the odd occasion I would be allowed to go rash and have a 4d portion.
  14. G

Church Road, Yardley.

That sounds like the same one, for some reason (best known to my memory cells) I think it was number 72 Church Road. He also ran the newsagents next door, traded as W.T. Simmonds, sad to say he died at an early age of lung cancer. Amazing what odd information an old brain retains!
  15. G

Church Road, Yardley.

Was the travel agent Bill Simmonds? I lived near the Yew Tree in Hob Moor Road from 1940 until 1960, my parents lived there until 1967 when they retired to Gloucestershire. My sister was a teacher at Church Road School c1951-1953. Happy Days!
Back