• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by GEFF

1. G

Bull Ring Print

I remember it pre war, just as it is in the print. Geff
  2. G

Saltley College

The college was also used by the Home Guard in 1943, I was there for awhile. S.U.Carburators were next door. I still have some books that were going to be burnt that I rescued. Geff
  3. G

Triumph

triumph car the mayflower was a very nice car despite the lack of disk brakes,indicater winkers,heater, seat belts, syncromesh gear box, radio. It did have an engine you could understand and repair though not like the ones today . my wife and I owned one in 1956, swopped it for a ford "Cortina".
  4. G

Curzon Street Railway Station

Hi Barrie. My Dad Also Drove Horse And Cart For The L.m.s From Curzon Street Goods Yard. He Retired 57 Years Ago With A Pension Of 10/- A Week After Working For The Co. For 50 Years, He Also Drove A Steam Wagon Early On In The Century. I Have A Photo Of Him With His Horse Somewhere
  5. G

Bull Ring Print

I Can Well Remember It,also Being Evacuated To Evesham And Catching The Train From Moor Street Station, While Waiting For The Train The Barra Boys Came Over With Apples And Oranges For The Kids. I Also Have A Print Of The Same
  6. G

Toast to the Fallen

Rupert. If you look up convoy PQ17 you will find that it was more than just a novel, it was a convoy to Russia during the 39-45 War, 38 ship set out from Britain, 24 were sunk. If your message was intended as a joke it was a sick one
  7. G

Toast to the Fallen

Lest We Forget It is not the people who forget but the governments of the day. that sounds like I am feeling bitter, I am. The reason is I have just recieved the "Artic Star" in recognition of my 20 year old brothers service on convoys to Russia. He was killed in the North Atlantic 64 years...
  8. G

ALSTON ROAD SCHOOL

Alston Road School Hi Dave C, Tell your dad I don`t remember those names, it`s a blinking long while ago. I do remember John Beasley, the last I saw of him was in Alexandria Egypt in 1947, a few lads an myself were celebrating our forthcoming demob and were on the way home after 2+ years in...
  9. G

ALSTON ROAD SCHOOL

Alston Road School Hi Dave C, Thanks for your message, I am a year older than your dad, I don`t recall the name, I do remember a lad called Ernie Tudor who lived opposite the bottom of Foxwell Road, he lost the bottom of his leg in Normandy. I lived in Foxwell and lived 4 doors away from Frank...
  10. G

Gaskell and Chambers

Gaskell an Chambers I worked at Gaskell an Chambers in the 50s as a bar fitter, travelling all over fixing on site i.e. in pubs and hotels, bars and fittings etc. until I got wed, I then went back to shopfitting which was`nt so hectic and I was home most nights.
  11. G

We Shall Remember Them

Lest We Forget attached photo was in Palestine 1946, I swopped duty with the soldier being buried, because he had seen the film that was on in the camp that night and I had`nt. I had to help with the funeral I am centre of the 3 carrying the coffin. Was it Fate or luck of the draw.
  12. G

Gun Sites

Home Guard Thank you all for telling me where the gun site was in Yardley, it was about 10 minutes from the No. 11 bus, and Cockshot Hill jogs the memory, but it was 64 years ago, and I`ve lived in Wales for the last 50+years. your memory plays tricks the older you get.Thanks again, sorry for...
  13. G

DUNKIRK

Brings back memories of my brother coming back form Dunkirk, he was in the Royal Warwicks. He was never the same young man afterwards, even so they then sent him to Burma till the the end of the Jap war. He never married and lived a lonely life after our parents died. GEFF
  14. G

Craftinwoods shopfitters

Thanks Colin for your reply, I served my time with them in the 40`s and have enjoyed woodwork ever since,even now in my 80`s. They were the best, I think they went out of business because they were to good and would not lower themselves to take up with veneers and "Formica" all they ever worked...
  15. G

Craftinwoods shopfitters

any information on "Craftinwoods" Shopfitters in Ashted Row 1930. Thankyou
Back