• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by geehigh

1. geehigh

Blakesley Hall

Heh :adoration: Well my late lamented OU Tutor Arthur Marwick used to say, places like this have to be a bit of a represntative 'catch-all' in order to work, and of course there is no way possible to convey the sense of anxiousness, horror and sheer terror that must have been all-pervasive in...
  2. geehigh

Blakesley Hall

I've just come back from the Hall after visiting the 'Tom Frank and May - One Family's Story' exhibition. I've written up a brief illustrated report on it here if anyone is interested. Anyway, I thoroughly recommend a visit. It is not a hyped-up 'WWI history experience' and all the better for...
  3. geehigh

Blakesley Hall

Thanks for posting, folks: Lovely pics all! :encouragement:
  4. geehigh

Blakesley Hall

Popped in there for a coffee yesterday. I couldn't hang around to examine much of what was going on, but I got a few photographs of the place in it's Spring glory. Slideshow below: https://t.co/J3Ltx45Vie Best wishes Graham :untroubled:
  5. geehigh

Castle Bromwich Hall

Thanks for that info Bill: I'll keep an eye on the site. It's about time Castle Bromwich made a big deal of it's history in the public arena. If stuff like this gets the ball rolling I'll be very happy.
  6. geehigh

Samuel Pepys and Aylmer Foliot Jnr 'Fire and Plague' Video.

For those of you who missed the Samuel Pepys drama event at Blakesley Hall on 3rd November (or those who want to re-live it), here's a video. I hope you enjoy. https://youtu.be/wJYU2C2Dhuc Best wishes Graham
  7. geehigh

Aston Hall

Thanks Michael: Much appreciated. :smug: Have fun Bernard! Keep an eye open for the monstro pasties and pork pies for sale in the marquee. They make a lasting impression in all sorts of ways! All the best, G.
  8. geehigh

Aston Hall

For anyone intrested, here's a HD video slideshow of the 2013 Aston Hall by candlelight event: The photographs were taken on 2nd November. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Nboo2QHtE The music is an edited field recording I made of the medieval ensemble playing live that evening. If you are...
  9. geehigh

Harwell Dekatron Computer ex Birmingham Science Museum working again

I thoroughly recommend a visit to both the Bletchley Park Trust, and the National Museum of Computing (same site – different trust). Bletchley park can fry your brain if you are prepared to let it. Here’s a video that I made of a talk about the Turing Bombe made in 2012 which gives a flavour of...
  10. geehigh

Hello again Maurice A little story: I took my son to the ThinkTank shortly after it opened in hope that a little practical knowledge from Birmingham’s premier new ‘shiny place’ would assist with his school work. To my sadness and anger, I found the place an exemplar of 'style over...
  11. geehigh

Hello Maurice Thanks for posting this up. Sorry that I'm a bit late to the party :courage: The National Museum of Computing have now posted a video of the event up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYpPPIsxq64 They have also now published the book that was mentioned in the video: Murrell K &...
  12. geehigh

Museum of the Jewellery Quarter - 75-80 Vyse Street, Hockley, Birmingham, B18 6HA.

Re: Museum of the Jewellery Quarter - 75-80 Vyse Street, Hockley, Birmingham, B18 6HA My pleasure Rosie. :encouragement: It's quite amazing how many lives that the Jewellery Quarter has touched. I thought I was pretty immune to it all myself; this was until yesterday when my wife pointed to...
  13. geehigh

Museum of the Jewellery Quarter - 75-80 Vyse Street, Hockley, Birmingham, B18 6HA.

Museum of the Jewellery Quarter - 75-80 Vyse Street, Hockley, Birmingham, B18 6HA. I visited this museum this morning, and after a rather dodgy first impression given to me upon arrival at the information desk (which I understand from previous visitors was very much the exception to the rule)...
  14. geehigh

St Barnabas Church Erdington

Finally folks, here's a photo of the entire east end taken from the second floor. I've kept it reasonably hi-res so you can zoom in and see what's what. I'll put the other pictures on Photobucket in the next few days, and I'll post the link to them on this thread. I've taken up enough server...
  15. geehigh

St Barnabas Church Erdington

Thanks for the instructive comments folks. No there was no lecturn, there couldn't have been because I make a point of taking close-ups of the lecturn eagle when I visit churches / cathedrals. It didn't occur to me that I hadn't done that until jennyann mentioned it. Looking back now, I didn't...
Back