• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by gary6373

1. gary6373

City Centre Photographs

2. gary6373

Athletics in Birmingham in 1870's.

Oh yes, of course.The Brummies old speedway track. Thanks. Would their old track still've been in use in the mid 70's i wonder? I went to see the Brummies a few times when i was i kid. Don't ever remember visiting the dog track so this makes sense.
  3. gary6373

Athletics in Birmingham in 1870's.

I recognise the old Birchfield Harriers running track which is now Perry Barr Greyhound Stadium but was this also a running track? circled. OneStop shopping center occupies the area now of course.
  4. gary6373

Bier Keller

Re: BEER CELLAR ( KELLAR ) Hi cartwright Please, please post photos. I'd absolutely love to see them. Bogarts was unique with an amazing atmosphere. No pub or bar i've been in since comes close. I suppose being alot younger helps. I always look twice when i walk past the location today. Best...
  5. gary6373

Bier Keller

Re: BEER CELLAR ( KELLAR ) I remember Bogarts and I want it back! Great times in there. Was the DJ called Martin? A really nice guy. A night in Bogarts was like an event man. I too, never went down into the beer keller.
  6. gary6373

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

What about that club situated under railway arches? Was it called the Zoo club? Where the heck was that? Exact locations of night clubs after many drinks and many years is always gonna be a challenge. Was it owned by Andy Gray?
  7. gary6373

Old Windmill Holloway Head

Hi Aidan. There's a transparancy slider thing in Google Earth. You can drag the slider from 100% clear to 100% opaque. So you have present day Birmingham on your screen. Click 'add overlay image'. Choose old map from your PC. The old map overlay apears but the clever thing is, you can...
  8. gary6373

Old Windmill Holloway Head

Probably totally inaccurate so just for fun, I've tried to match the hedgerow from Mikes 1778 map with Ernest Street. unable to replace this image
  9. gary6373

City Skyline 2010

bbbbbb
  10. gary6373

Air raid shelters

Air raid shelters in the car park of Wylde Green Co Op just as Robb128s info. I think it's great that they're still around. Reckon with Birmingham council, if it was economically viable, these shelters would been long gone. That's a great picture lencops. I've now got to get over to Yardley!
  11. gary6373

Air raid shelters

This doesn't suprise me. The government always knows best. :rolleyes: robb128 shelters in Co op car park Wylde Green. Around here Robb?
  12. gary6373

Air raid shelters

Wow! I think I'd like an air raid shelter outside my house. When visitors call 'round I'd say, "can i show you the air raid shelter?" You know the situation is bad when the council start building air raid shelters in the street! What people went through. Dear me. Thanks pmc1947 for the...
  13. gary6373

Air raid shelters

An air raid shelter? Something to do with the water board..... or a tram terminus? opposite view
  14. gary6373

Parisian Club Cannon Street

This image shows how much change has occured. No first or second floor above the entrance. The whole premises down below ground floor.
  15. gary6373

Parisian Club Cannon Street

That's a good photo of Cannon St, Barr Beacon. With a car. I prefered it when the roads were still open to cars. New Street is a bit too comfortable these days. And who planted all the trees? You can't see the buildings because of the trees. This isn't suburbia. It's Birmingham New Street where...
Back