• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Gareth Harrison

1. G

Sherlock Street

Thanks Rupert. I had not the information on 33a Bristol Street BEFORE. Most helpful. Thanks also for the photos and map tips, Cheers, gareth
  2. G

Sherlock Street

Dear Mike, Thanks Mike. This is most perplexing. Any idea who lived AT 11 SHERLOCK STREET going forward 1925-1935. Cheers, gareth
  3. G

Sherlock Street

My grandfather jacob Winter lived at 11 Sherlock Street from around 1918-1926. It was a four storey building including a tailoring factory and the family lived on the 4th floor. I was wondering what Kellys and the electoral roll told about the occupants from around 1918-1926. Thanks in advance...
  4. G

Doughtys dale end 1911-1915

Dear Mike, Thanks for this very useful information. Do you know if Doughty was around in any earlier period say between 1905-1910 in the Kellys? Sorry for the delay but I was away, Cheers, Gareth
  5. G

Doughtys dale end 1911-1915

Dear Gang, I have just realised that the Dale End referred to in my Grand Uncles letters of 1915 was in Birmingham. To quote he says "He enjoyed roaming to Doughty's in Dale End with his sister". Doughty's could be a shop or eating place. I saw there was an Imperial Arcade in the area which...
  6. G

Maiers Winter Family Update IV-The Moise Berman Connection?

Part IV-Maiers Winter Family Update MOISE BERHMAN-UNCLE? He was the Uncle Moise Behrman that Isaac Winter stayed with in 1904 in New York at 94 E Broadway. In the 1905 census the family are still at 94 and Moise is a Merchant-Woollens. The 1910 census has Moise Berman (Traveller and selling...
  7. G

Maiers Winter Family update-Part III

Maiers Winter Family update-Part III- THE CHILDREN CONTINUED FANNY WINTER-DAUGHTER When Fanny visited Yetta in 1953 she gave the next of kin address of 4547 Sheridan Road, Chicago along with her sister’s name of Rose Winter. Fanny was 5 feet 2 inches tall with a fair complexion, brown hair and...
  8. G

Maiers Winter Update Part II

Maiers Winter Update Part II-THE CHILDREN SIMON WINTER-SON It seems that Simon died young in the Erdington Infirmary, Aston and at the same time as his mother. I was wondering if this could be our Simon-though of course the birth year is out. I believe Erdington Infirmary was the workhouse...
  9. G

Maiers winter family update request

Dear Mike, I thought Jacob Winter was staying at 43 Charlotte Road, Edgbaston. It seems that there is a 43 Charlotte Road in Stirchley and that is where Olive Thomas Depper was staying. 1930. 43 Charlotte road with Harry, Fanny, & Jacob Winter & Oliver Thomas Depper & Lizzie Depper. Does...
  10. G

Maiers Winter family Update-Part 1

Maiers Winter family Update- Part 1- Birth certificate from Poland UPDATE ON MAIERS WINTER FAMILY LIVING IN BIRMINGHAM FROM 1886-1920? INTRODUCTION After a saga starting on July 8th and finishing only on September 23rd did I get the elusive birth certificates from Poland. The lack of...
  11. G

Dear Mike, Thanks a lot. This is full of new information for me. I am just going to send in installments my Maiers Winter family update. Hope you enjoy and thanks for all your help. Cheers, gareth
  12. G

Dear Gang, I have had a lot of help from you regarding Maiers Winter who lived in Birmingham at 121 St Lukes Road in 1912 and in 1920 he lived at 98 St Lukes Road with his son Enoch, Maiers married Deborah Winter in Poland and had the following children 4 children were born in Poland: Simon...
  13. G

Birmingham connections (1901-1940) jacob winter part 9 FINAL PART

LEVY BARNETT JOSEPH ABRAHAMSON LETTER 1915 This was the Tailor that supplied Joseph Abrahamson with his shirts in 1915. I have found the Levy family on the 1891 census living at 12 Moscow Street, Leeds. Israel 39. Leah 32. Barnett 13. Nathan 9. Fanny aged 8 months. This might be a...
  14. G

Birmingham connections (1901-1940) jacob winter part 8

SAMUEL CAVE (Naturalisation 1898) FANNY ABRAHAMSON EMPLOYER 1913-1915 In one of the Joseph Abrahamson letters a.Mr. Davis.is mentioned along with.Mr. and Mrs. Cave. I have worked out who Mr. Cave was, as I knew his address, because.Fanny Winter nee Abrahamson.worked there between the years...
  15. G

Look ups on Louis Cohen and E. Cohen of Birmingham 1890-1930s

Dear Mike, Thanks a lot for the information. It seems Tilley Cohen's sister Gertrude Cohen married Joseph Engleman in 1906. Joseph Engleman was one of Jacob Winters naturalisation signatories in 1910. They were apparently living at 3 Florence Street in 1901 and then were not bakers but...
Back