• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by foggy39

1. F

Brummie sayings & language

I've told you twice I sharnt tell you a second time!! Another was if someone was happy in what he was doing "He was in his oil tot" I know exactly what it means but God alone knows where it came from.
  2. F

Shops on Aston Church Road

A chap called Syd Siviter and his wife ran the cafe in 70s/80s
  3. F

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

Hi Roy, You mentioning Brylcream brought to mind going to Nechells baths with the school, one of the lads noticed that the Brylcream machine would continue "giving" if the plunger was gently pressed backwards and forwards instead of one plunge! Result? all the lads had a load of cream on their D...
  4. F

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

Re: Birmingham History Hi Roy, As a 10/11 year old I used to help the Co-op baker, I used to meet them at the railway yard at Rupert St/ Avenue Rd (Nechells) and the round finished at Argyle St (Cookoo Bridge) . This was with horse & cart, no hand washing after handling the horse (Roman), none...
  5. F

National Service

.An ex squaddie told me when he served in Malaya after a five day patrol they had a few days "down time" and to pass the time they used to write to various makers complimenting their products, and, very often got "goodie parcels" in return. One bloke wrote to Wilkinson Sword saying how good...
  6. F

National Service

Hi Maypole Baz, Drill Sgt told me he was going to open my AB64 part 1 and do unmentionable things over my next of kin! Another pearl of his was "outside in three ranks, thats one behind the other twice!
  7. F

National Service

Hi Eddie 14, I was at Blandford 1960 and Sgt Kelly kindly gave us a definition of "melt" which it would be inappropriate to quote in this thread. He also asked me where I was from I told him B'ham he said that was a suburb of Coventry, because that was where he came from, being shrewd I didn't...
  8. F

The Birmingham Built Metrobus

I worked at Washwood Heath bus garage and we took delivery of prototype Metro fleet No 6831, I think from memory the bloke from MCW was Mick Chattam
  9. F

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Hi oldmohawk, Yes that's Miller St bus depot on the left of picture. The light car section relocated to Miller St in 1953 from Tennant St.
  10. F

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

The building being demolished B'ham City Transport Light Cars, I worked there for 1 year (1954) prior to starting my apprenticeship
  11. F

National Service

RE National Service. I did my National Service in R.E.M.E. (1960-63) attached to 19th (field) Regt R.A. I was surprised recently when I looked them up to see them that they were known as "The Scottish Gunners", I certainly don't recall that. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Back