• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by florna

1. F

Wedding Photo August 1936 in Northfield.

This is a stab in the dark. The attached photo is of my parents' wedding in St Laurence Church, Northfield in 1936. The two married are Albert Philip Nicklin and Maud Hodgetts. Does anyone recognise any of the other people in the photo? I can guess at one or two but any names would be welcomed...
  2. F

Windows 10 Mail

Have solved my email problem - thanks to your help! Now there are no folders to keep important emails. May come with an update I expect when Windows 10 try to solve problems. Dave
  3. F

Windows 10 Mail

Chris - many thanks for your advice. If the info from oldMohawk doesn't work I will put into practice what you have said. Again - many thanks Dave
  4. F

Windows 10 Mail

Many thanks oldMohawk for your advice and links. My son and son in law are with me this week end so I will put their expertise to good use. I will let you know how I get on. once again - many thanks Dave
  5. F

Windows 10 Mail

Can someone come to the rescue please? I have a tiscali.co.uk email address and I use TalkTalk Mail for my in and out emails. To send an email via Windows 10 Mail I have to get into TalkTalk to retrieve an address. How do I transfer my contacts from TalkTalk to Windows 10 Mail? Make it simple...
  6. F

1920's car

Thanks to all who replied. It certainly looks a great car!! If only I had £25000 spare. I think my grandfather must have been well up the social scale for that type of car. Dave
  7. F

1920's car

My Grandfather had this car in, I think, the early 1920's. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Make, engine size, model etc Is it a Ford or an Austin? Thanks for looking Dave
  8. F

Royal Navy WWI update

Many thanks for your reply. I think I am now up to date with interpretation of the various documents that I have got. You have been a great help florna
  9. F

Royal Navy WWI update

Following previous conversations with members I have now received info from TNA re my Grandfather's time in WWI. Attached are parts of the two pages that I have received. Can someone please add some detail to the information contained here? Having paid for the info I now find that it has just...
  10. F

Royal Navy WWI

Chris Someone on another forum has given me the same info and I have applied to TNA for a quote on costs of paper copies. Many thanks for your interest. Dave
  11. F

Royal Navy WWI

Many thanks for the additional info. All gratefully received Dave
  12. F

Royal Navy WWI

Colin Thanks for the update! Dave
  13. F

Royal Navy WWI

I have just discovered that my Grandfather was in the Royal Navy in WWI. I have downloaded part of his service record to see what he did and where. Can someone please decipher it for me! The info is attached I would like to know a bit more about him. Amazingly my parents never mentioned that...
  14. F

Nailers and nailmaking

brummie nick I think you are correct! It was harsh and they were only just surviving so why worry about the outside world. Thanks for the web link. Dave
  15. F

Nailers and nailmaking

Thanks Rupert Have a look at this website - an interesting account of nailmaking in the Midlands. https://www.qlhs.org.uk/oracle/poverty-line/poverty-line.html I think it was probably visitors who brought any glad tidings there were!! Dave
Back