• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by fiftiesboy

1. F

Birchfield Road Perry Barr

Hi Walsallie, I've just been to visit my older brother and he told me that the hot Vimto cafe was called the Mikado and was run by a Mrs Fieldhouse
  2. F

Hi Lyn. I went in search of the Roman kiln a couple of years ago and spoke to the owner of Hirons, his family have run the place for years. He told me there have been a few people over the years looking for the kiln but nothing remains of it. I've also been searching for photos of the Villa...
  3. F

Thanks for those bank pictures. Looks like I was getting them mixed up. I hope I paid the mortgage into the correct bank
  4. F

Before I went to school Mom bought a two wheeled wicker shopping trolley from somewhere at the back of Crown Avenue. I wonder if your Mr. Medlam made it ? I used to ride in it on the daily shopping trip to Perry Barr. Think I had to walk back though
  5. F

I too remember having a hot vimto in that shop. run by an elderly lady
  6. F

The white building on the corner of Aston Lane would have been the Municipal Bank where sometimes I was trusted by my Mom to take the cash and pay the mortgage. 10/6 a week, how things have changed ! The photo must have been taken from the top of one of the new tower blocks
  7. F

They weren't safe. I don't remember them but my Mother did tell me about a lad from our road who was killed in Perry Barr. He waited for the bus to pass and dashed across the road to be run over by the trailer
  8. F

Erdington Picture House

Thanks Mike. I managed to get it uploaded. You can see the site of the picture house I was referring to on the map, corner of Edwards Road. The Erdington picture house in Viv's picture was built after the map was published but the picture shows its location beautifully. The ABC/Palace can also...
  9. F

Erdington Picture House

Thanks for all the replies, surprised by the response as it's my first question on history forum . I'm trying to upload my map but told that the file is too large probably due to windows photo viewer trying to attach every photo I've got on my laptop Grrrr. will get back when sorted
  10. F

Erdington Picture House

I'm looking at a 1913 map of Erdington (east) and on the present site of the fire station were a skating rink and a picture house. I can find photos of the picture house which was next to the Swan and the Palace somewhere near the site of the present Co-op but I can't find any photos of the...
  11. F

I remember the wool shop with all it's bits and pieces. I also loved going into Dodds, the smell, the assistants in their brown cow gowns and so much stuff on the shelves. That photo shows an alleyway behind which was some sort of workshop where they made wicker shopping baskets on wheels. I...
Back