• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Fairney View

1. Fairney View

Social Clubs and rules for women history

Is this because its only men who have big sticks? Or they are all dickheads?! In my Grandad and Dad's day, the committee might have said a woman can't go there because of listening to mens foul language - they have a right to be themselves. What is their argument today? I'm in Australia now...
  2. Fairney View

The brownie guide pack of birmingham

Are the Brownie Guides a thing of the Brummie past? In early 1970's I 'promised to do my best/do my duty to God/serve other people/and something the brownie guide law' and got my little badge. "Be Prepared" is still something I live life by!
  3. Fairney View

Civilians Called up for war work

I have been looking at the heroic effort of my Grandmother who came from Scotland to Birmingham - the first record is a letter of her being a "Metal Works Machinist" 952 Kingstanding Road, Handsworth. 1941 -age 20yrs. She was in a Hostel at 276 Monument Rd. Ladywood. From what I picked up on the...
  4. Fairney View

Yardley Village

John Crump...you must be from the same roots as my Gt gt Granny Fanny Crump - Nailers of Bromsgrove region - come into Brum at the beginning of twentieth century?!
  5. Fairney View

Father Hudson's and Father Flint

Suzanne:Thankyou for your comment and effort: obviously Father Flint had a talent with book-keeping that they whisked him from Coventry to Coleshill which was a huge enterprise. What a pity he wasn't in the photo with the three priests...well I assume he wore the same dress as them! Also in your...
  6. Fairney View

Thankyou Sue.As its not fiction I want to best represent things in right context. When I am writing its preferable to have a photo or background material, and it seems strange that an important figure like Fr Flint isn't showing up on google! Dwilly - Mum was was at Sisters of Nazareth...
  7. Fairney View

Thanks for this - thought I was writing a historical document about discrimination which ended with womens lib in the early 70's not rules(cultures) that went into into the 80's. As there is still gaping holes in womens(working class) history we must work to put it out there for those young ones...
  8. Fairney View

I'd like to fill out some social history of the sexism that seemed a "natural" part of life for women in 1960's etc . Mum(in Selly Oak, said women not allowed to be members of clubs their husbands went to, not allowed in snooker rooms - play card games etc But allowed to play Bingo! Blogging...
  9. Fairney View

Father Flint was made into a Canon, being the Administrator of Father Hudson's Homes - from the letters that I have, he organised placements of babies born to unmarried women like my grandmother in Ladywood parish in the 1940's. Also involved in the Child Migration Scheme to Commonwealth...
  10. Fairney View

On This Day 1940

Thanks for the information; it give me a picture of my grandmother in Ladywood, 8 months pregnant and the sound of sirens and bombs, and carnage.
  11. Fairney View

Harborne

Thanks for an informative thread as I trace my Higgins folk from Nailing in Belbroughton into the High St of Harborne 1881. 2 stone building in a Stoneyard? and work as a brickies labourer/stonemasons labourer - a trade that would keep many fellas employed in the building boom. William and Fanny...
  12. Fairney View

Kynoch's I C I 1930s - 1940s

Re: Munitions works Thankyou.These photos speak a 1000 words. It is very good to be reminded, especially when your forebears didn't talk about their heroic efforts in the past amidst their own personal battles. It looks like she was sent to work for essential war work in Handsworth from...
  13. Fairney View

Sun ray treament

circa 1970 I was about 8 (oh the memory!) - Mum took me on the bus to school clinic(at Harborne?) from Selly Oak. I don't know what it was for either...but I can guess a dose of vit d. Can remember strange rubbery smell, the darkness and someone behind the glass saying, go to the next one, now...
  14. Fairney View

Kynoch's I C I 1930s - 1940s

Re: Munitions works In my Grandmothers papers: 20yrs Metal Works Machinist 952 Kingstanding Rd. Handsworth. 1940-1. I'm creating a picture of what it must have been like living in Monument Rd Ladywood, going to work - who was the firm? And what did women do there?
  15. Fairney View

Southall William George Electoral roll 1940

Re: Electoral roll 1940 Mmm thanks for that - curiouser and curiouser.....
Back