• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by emevans

1. E

Clear Hooters Ltd

Thank you to everyone who has responded to me request for information. I must have passed the Clear Hooters factory in the 50's and 60's but I could not recall it. Only a stones throw from their principle competitor 'Joseph Lucas'. The photograph and map are proving to be really useful. Many...
  2. E

Clear Hooters Ltd

According to Graces Guide, Clear Hooters Ltd were based in Hampton Street, and employed upwards of 250 persons. With that number of staff, the factory must have been fairly large but I cannot place exactly where it was positioned. Does anyone have any knowledge of the company? Many thanks in...
  3. E

James Factory, Tomey Road, Greet

Does anyone have any memories of working at the James factory in Tomey Road, Greet, in the 1940's and 50's? I visited the site in the mid 50's to have some work done on my motorcycle. I was sent to the canteen for a couple of hours whilst the work was being done. A super company. I would...
  4. E

Information On Vehicle From Smethwick

Thanks for the reply Neil. I chased a few likely sources of information but without any success. I have come to the conclusion that the bike has been scrapped and the Smethwick record for it destroyed. A friend has just had a similar result with a 1960 Norton that he bought in Manchester in...
  5. E

The Acumen Company, Park Road, Aston

Sorry for the delay in replying - away on holiday... Thank you for the superb photographs Lyn. Now I know what the Acumen premises were really like in those difficult post war years when you could have anything made from a pen nib to steam-roller in small workshops in Birmingham. They were...
  6. E

Thanks very much Lyn. Emlyn
  7. E

Thank you very much for the information and the excellent map Mike. You have answered everything that I wanted to know about The Acumen Company. I must have walked past their premises several times in the 50's and 60's without wondering what was going on inside. My old James motorcycle has...
  8. E

Does anyone on the site have any knowledge about The Acumen Company, who had a factory/workshop in Park Road, Aston. According to Graces Guide they produced accessories for the motor and motorcycle industry from at least 1945 to the late 1950's but I cannot find out any history is contemporary...
  9. E

James' Cycles

I have an early 1950's James Motorcycle. I have been told that the petrol tank may have been manufactured by AGS (A.G.Sutherland) Sheetmetal of Pritchett Street, Greet. AGS were predominantly manufacturers of Domestic Gas Meters for the Gas Industry but may also have been sheet metal workers...
  10. E

Motorcycle - How To Find My Old One

Thanks very much for the valuable information Lloyd. I really appreciate your help in tracking it down. On writing down the frame and engine numbers in the Instruction Book that came with the bike (which I still have), I obviously omitted to include the 'year' Prefix to the number. I doubt I...
  11. E

Motorcycle - How To Find My Old One

Hello Lloyd. I am trying to trace the month and year of a James motorcycle that I purchased from Motor Sales in Saint Pauls Road, Smethwick. The registration details given to the machine was 336 EHA. The frame number K7-4213. The colour applied by the Gough Road Factory was Martial Grey with...
  12. E

History of vehicle registration numbers

Thanks for the tip off Eric. I will look out for an old Glasses Guide. I have had a tip off that EHA was probably issued in 1957. Emlyn
  13. E

Information On Vehicle From Smethwick

Hello Neil. I bought a brand new James motorcycle with the registration number 336 EHA from Motor Sales in Smethwick. I am trying to find out what year it would have been? I notice that your Lambretta is a 1957 model. Any idea what month in 1957? 336 and 353 are very close to one another -...
  14. E

History of vehicle registration numbers

I once owned a brand new James 'Captain' motorcycle that I purchased from Motor Sales in Smethwick. It was issued with the Smethwick registration number 336 EHA but I cannot recall the year that I bought it. It was in the late 1950's and it could have been 1958. Does anyone know how I can...
  15. E

The Adam and Eve, Bradford Street

Thanks very much `philm'. I can recall him being inrtoduced as George when I think hard about it. Those were enjoyable evenings. Thanks for the memory. Em
Back