• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Elaine Hemming

1. E

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Vivienne14 - many thanks for your help.
  2. E

Mikejee, Many thanks for your help - will forward to my friend with her quest on her family tree.
  3. E

Many thanks for your help, will forward to my friend on her quest for her family tree.
  4. E

Hi, I have gone through all the post on this section for Passages & Alley ways, but have not found what I am looking for - so could you please help, this is my friends request and the details on the Birth Certicate as reads --------- On a birth certificate 1849 she had (5 or S Pit passage...
  5. E

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

The A & S Warehouse used to be The Hope & Anchor Public House which closed in 1930's
  6. E

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

The flat in the centre of the picture is Concorde Tower, all the other flats has now been demolished except for two, which is Topcliffe Hose and Chivenor House, which both these flats are attached to the schools. the waste ground is where the petrol station is today.
  7. E

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

The street directly opposite the Holiday Wharf Courtyard is Berkerly Street the next street down from this one will be Gas Street by Holiday Street Bridge.
  8. E

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

I have always known this as Holiday Wharf, where the barges off loaded their goods, later it became a craft place and use to hold craft fairs out side in the court yard going back to the 90's
  9. E

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

The Dudley Road Picture House was opened in 1912. Closed in 1932, when the Grove Cinema was opened. Then it became Hawley's Dance Studio Today, I think it is now a snooker hall - sorry could not make out the name of the road.
  10. E

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

I am sure that the Danilo Cinema was on Hagley Road Quinton
  11. E

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

This appears to me, will be Hill Street the steel bridge will be new street station, the build by the steel bridge in the background appears to be Pinfold Street
  12. E

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

Ralph Heaton II (1794-1862). Founder of the Birmingham Mint.
  13. E

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

The Nags Head was on Monument Road Ladywood
  14. E

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Hi Harriett, The Woodman in Albert Street is still trading, this is by Curzon Street Station and over the road from the Tink Tank Museum. There was another Woodman Pub on Easy Row by the Town Hall - which was demolished 60's or 70's for road widening.
  15. E

Reilly Claire

Hi MWS - that is all the information i have - so does that mean she was not employed by them on the 1912 census and that she was still unemployed, when the census was done. I am doing this for a friend and that all she has - i have tried looking, but not finding anything.
Back