• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by el-stano

1. el-stano

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

Quite a good article on kali in wiki, but they say it's a northern expression for sherbert! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherbet_%28powder%29 Cheers
  2. el-stano

Wpc56

Writer: Dominique Moloney
  3. el-stano

Wpc56

Hi All, In the opening sequence the number 11 bus had "City" on the destination! Also the conductor had a ticket machine like Midland Red whereas I remember BCT ones punched the ticket and a bell rang. In the credits there was a "Historical Adviser", Dr somebody or other. Hope he didn't get...
  4. el-stano

Christmas’s past

Hi, this one dates from 1925! Stan
  5. el-stano

Old street pics..

Mike, from google https://sueyounghistories.com/archives/2009/11/21/john-suffield-1802-1891/ Stan
  6. el-stano

1st touch on a Computer

Hi sheldontony, I can beat that - Birmingham Co-op, 1965, ICT 1900 programmer. Finished programming 2006 in Chipping Sodbury and retired (gracefully). My brother-in-law was an operator at Southalls - Gerry Nash. Stan
  7. el-stano

Bhf christmas meet 2012

Astoness ... the cats keep knocking them down ... or i shall string them up... Quick, someone call the RSPCA!
  8. el-stano

Foster Brothers Clothing Company Limited

Hi, I went to Saltley G.S. 1959-65 and uniform was compulsory and could only be got from Foster Bros in Alum Rock. Therefore they had a monopoly and from what I remember of parental comments they certainly made the most of it. They also supplied the Cashes Woven Name Tapes which had to be sewn...
  9. el-stano

Pubs Of The Past

Hi, If memory serves, the Nelson was a basement bar near the top of Temple St, on the left. We used to "dive" into the Nelson about 30 years ago, when I had a client round the corner in Waterloo St. It's since had several name changes, I believe. Sputnik could well have been one of them. There's...
  10. el-stano

Ward End

Hi Roger, Just found this thread. I'd really like to get my hands on a copy of this book. After much googling I'm no nearer. Doesn't help that I live in Spain and can't pop round to Ward End to buy it ;-) I was in the choir at St Margaret's many moons ago and lived in Foley Road. Cheers, Stan
  11. el-stano

Saltley Secondary School

Hello, The "fume cabinet" in the corner of the lab, most of the gym fixtures and some of the library (of which I was in charge for a couple of years as a 6th/7th former) all look much the same as in my time: 1959-65. Great memories; thanks Lyn.
  12. el-stano

Old street pics..

Wendy, I'll second that ;-)
  13. el-stano

Old street pics..

Phil, that journey has brought a lump to my throat. Thanks a million. Stan
  14. el-stano

The English Language.

Remember when "oversight" used to mean omission? Now it means "supervision" as in banking and other honorable activities. But don't get me started...
  15. el-stano

Old street pics..

Hi All, Phil, thanks for these very interesting and evocative journeys. The pic of the Brighton Arms on Coventry Road brought back some good memories of 40-odd years ago. Is it still there, does anyone know? You have a magnificent collection of pics. If you're looking for suggestions, Fox &...
Back