• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Eileenw

1. E

Wilton Street Lozells

I was born at 107 Wilton Street in 1944 and my granny lived at the back of our house. Her name was Mrs Green and her neighbour was Mrs Hudson. I remember they shared an outside toilet. Our name was Whittington and we lived next door to Mrs Maskell across the entry. We move around 1950. A few...
  2. E

Auxiliary Fire Service

My father was in the AFS too, his name was Len Whittington. We lived in Wilton Street, Lozells so I am not sure where he was based. He didn't talk very much about his service in the AFS. Strangely my father in law became Fire Chief of the Coventry Brigade in the 1050's. Eileen
  3. E

Auxiliary Fire Service

Hello all, my dad was in the AFS during the second world war, being too old for anything else. We lived in Lozells so I have no idea which division he would have been in....maybe division 3 ......?? Thank you for the picture of the AFS badge, its good to see. I was born in 1944.....so have no...
  4. E

Wilton Street Lozells

I see you moved to the USA Richard, a little bit further away than me then...????
  5. E

Wilton Street Lozells

I don't really know but I find it quite sad...............I moved to Harborne when I was 5 years old and still live in Harborne now. But I still wanted to chase down the memories of where I grew up and I couldn't find them....x
  6. E

Wilton Street Lozells

We still have memories Richard, even though time marches on.....
  7. E

Wilton Street Lozells

Time marches on, but we still have memories.......xx
  8. E

Wilton Street Lozells

Thank you Lyn for your reply.....that explians why I couldn't find anything other than new housing......things do move on but it is quite sad really......I moved to Harborne when I was 5 and still live there but will never forget Wilton Street. But its all in the past now, many thanks Eileen
  9. E

Wilton Street Lozells

Has anyone been there recently....???
  10. E

Wilton Street Lozells

I was born in 107 Wilton Street in 1944......I tried to find Wilton Street a few years ago but I couldnt identify it except that it seemed to have been turned into a new housing estate. I must go on another pilgrimage soon and try to find the old Wilton Street.
  11. E

Wilton Street Lozells

What a fabulous picture. I remember this shop, and I left Wilton Street with my parents in 1950 when I was 5 years old ....There was also a shop down on the corner of Wilton Street but I cannot remember what is was called. We used to buy sweets there.... We lived at 107.....
  12. E

Wilton Street Lozells

I've just joined this forum. I lived at 107 Wilton Street and its wonderful to see the old photo's. I tried to find it a few years ago, only to find new houses. My gran lived at the back of our house, her name was Mrs Green and she shared a toilet in the back yard with her neighbour, Mrs Hudson.
Back