• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by earlgary

1. earlgary

Windows 10

Thank you both, I have managed to get my laptop going after it crashed completely, hence the length of time it has taken to reply. Your help was most appreciated, thank you once again.
  2. earlgary

Windows 10

Can you help me please? I keep getting a flash message when I log in: Cannot sign in to windows standard users unable to log in. I haven't got a clue what to do about this as I am computer ignorant apart from the basics, this has happened before after windows update but seemed to right itself...
  3. earlgary

Harrison Barrow Grammar School Hartfield Crescent County School

Thank you all for your help, there isn't anything on line about him(not that I could find). It still seems strange that a school was named after him when he doesn't appear to have done anything special.
  4. earlgary

Old Birmingham Schools - Changed Or Demolished

I went to Harrison Barrow Grammar School, but I have no idea who Harrison Barrow was, there doesn't appear to be any information about him. Can anyone tell me anything about him? I believe he was a city councillor but surely he must have done more than that to get a school named after him...
  5. earlgary

Harrison Barrow Grammar School Hartfield Crescent County School

I went to Harrison Barrow Grammar School, but I have no idea who Harrison Barrow was, there doesn't appear to be any information about him. Can anyone tell me anything about him? I believe he was a city councillor but surely he must have done more than that to get a school named after him.
  6. earlgary

Norman Leonard Massey, Is This A Business Address?

Thank you both, very helpful. It was it being listed in Uk business and trade directories made me think it might be a business, again thank you for your help.
  7. earlgary

Norman Leonard Massey, Is This A Business Address?

While researching my family tree I have found a reference to my uncle in the UK Midlands and Trade directories and wondered if the address given was a business address, and if so what kind of business. My uncles name was Norman Leonard Massey and the address given was 103 Osmaston Rd...
  8. earlgary

Old street pics..

Thank you so much for the photos of Coventry Rd,took me back to my childhood and awakened many happy memories.
  9. earlgary

Pubs Of The Past

Thanks for the pictures of The Old Nelson. Can always depend on this forum to come up with the goods.
  10. earlgary

Pubs Of The Past

Have you got a picture of The Old Nelson in Great Lister Street? Going through my family tree I came across the name, I believe one of my ancestors either kept the pub or lodged there.
  11. earlgary

Birmingham FC

Thanks Keegs for the information regarding Jack Sykes, He was my dad, but I haven't much information about his playing career so I am really grateful for your input.
  12. earlgary

Paynes shoe repairs

Hi Foxglove, Thank you for replying to my question. I think I can safetly say that we are talking about the same John Edward Payne,I was only young when my grandmother married him in 1950, and when you are young you don't really pay any attention as to what is going on around you. My...
  13. earlgary

Paynes shoe repairs

Re: Paynes shoe repairs Foxglove I have only just realised you are John Edward Paynes grandaughter, could you help with my query? Did your grandfather ever remarry or live in Addison Rd, Kings Heath? I would be grateful for any help.
  14. earlgary

Paynes shoe repairs

Thank you Mikejee, at least I have two other names I can look into, I know nothing about the man except his name and where he lived before he married my grandmother.
  15. earlgary

Paynes shoe repairs

Re: Paynes shoe repairers I wonder if SRWALW could help me, I am trying to find information about a John Edward Payne who married my grandmother in the fifties, we were told he was one of the paynes shoe repairers family but whether it was true I do not know. All I know was that he was living...
Back