• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Duggy

1. D

Burbury Street

Re: Burbury Street Lozells Astoness, I don't know if they are the same family, but I went to school with Roy and Derek Harington in the early 1960's. We were at school at Gower Street. The last I saw of them was about 1966 when they moved into one of the Tower blocks in Newtown. This was as the...
  2. D

Fridge message for your pets.

Sakura, Thanks for making us laugh so much. I can relate to how much room a cat needs. Polly starts off curled up and eventually requires half of the settee to herself.
  3. D

Old Birmingham Schools - Changed Or Demolished

William Cowper, near Geach street. Edit. Link to the William Cowper School thread is here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/william-cowper-school.31250/#post-488696
  4. D

What make is this?

Yes, there is a Lewis's in the centre of Liverpool. It is still open, but when we went there towards the end of last year, we were practically the only shoppers in there. Most of the till areas were closed and not many staff about. A new shopping complex has just opened next to Albert Docks, so...
  5. D

Redex

In the mid 1960's we put Redex in our scooter tanks. We swore it made them quicker. That is until petrol stations selling 'Jet' fuel came along. we reckoned that made them even faster.
  6. D

Moore Street

Wendy, A lovely photo of Selfridges. It's about three years ago since we visited Brum, to watch the basketball at the NIA. I had seen the new building on the news but had no idea from that how big and shiny it is. The rest of the Bull Ring and the city centre is so nice to walk around in.
  7. D

unknown courtyard

An interesting thing about the photo of the courtyard is it shows the size of the house windows. The upstairs are large sash windows, similar to our house in Wilton street. That was a three storey back terrace. The only way to get furniture into the upstairs rooms was to remove the windows and...
  8. D

Daily Mail Clothes

Around 1960 I had shoes from the fund. I thought it was the Birmingham Mail Christmas Tree Fund, but I can't be sure. It was arranged by Mr J D T Ball who was the headmaster at Gower street senior school. He also had a school fund to help fund school uniforms, which he used to provide me with...
  9. D

Ration Books.

My only memory of rationing was when it ended. We lived in Greenway street and when sweet rationing ended were taken to a shop on the Bordesley Green to buy sweets. That was in the early 1950's. From a previous post it was 1953.
  10. D

The Blitz

I don't know if this happened during the Blitz but I will add it as part of Brums history anyway. We lived in Wilton street, Lozells from 1957. One of our neighbours who was living there during the war told us that a bomb buried itself under the entry at number 120. Luckily for them all it did...
  11. D

BAB,when are you too old to be 'Bab'

Having lived around various areas of the country, Bab is not something I have heard outside of Brum. Whilst I don't know when you are too old to be called Bab, my sisters and sisters in law still call children Bab. Our parents used the term, but I only remember it being used when talking to...
  12. D

What is a pikelett

Wimbush pikelets were best. Cooked on a coal fire using a toasting fork. Yummy.
Back