• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by doug1944

1. doug1944

Brummie sayings & language

One of the Father-in law`s is `cag mag` for anything which is rubbish.
  2. doug1944

Daimler

They have this very nice 1936 Guy Wolf Ambulance (quite rare I`m told ) at Aston Manor Museum. Photo`s of ambulances are another of my weaknesses !
  3. doug1944

Charabanc Outing

Here`s another chara photo ! Not a lot known, but I guess 1920`s, the nearest chara is a LVL and the second one is a Daimler. Can anyone identify the pub ?
  4. doug1944

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

Hi, Was it outside the Market Hall that my wife says the old lady selling `Andy carriers` used to stand ?
  5. doug1944

Date query

Speight`s were photographers in Sutton Coldfield from unknown date to about late 1950`s. My Aunty and Uncle worked for them in the 1940`s and 1950`s until they opened their own business in Park Road Sutton Coldfield. Speight`s covered a number of different photographic themes, whilst my Aunt and...
  6. doug1944

Berry Hall and the Tippetts family

Many thanks mikejee. Some really interesting stuff and a great waste of a magnificent property.
  7. doug1944

Berry Hall and the Tippetts family

Does anyone have any knowledge of Berry Hall, which I am told was situated on the Solihull side of town. The family who lived there were the Tippetts, who I believe had transport connections. My interest is that a long departed family friend, Mary Taylor, was in service with them, and the...
  8. doug1944

Central Fire Station Hq

Thank you Derelict UK for some of the most fascinating photo`s I`ve ever seen. Who would believe the beauty disguised behind that facade. Many thanks again.
  9. doug1944

Nicknames

As a 6 ft tall, 9 stone 15 year old schoolboy who worked in a garage whenever I could during holidays I was nicknamed `Spindle`! Cant understand why !
  10. doug1944

Motorcycle Shops

Thanks Pete. The old grey cells ain`t what they were ! I spent hours in George Yeomans searching for bits to rebuild a 1934 BSA 250. C&D Autos and Vale Onslow were the preference for my 1951 BSA 125 Bantam D1. Len Vale Onslow was a great old man, full of knowledge and still riding his SOS bike...
  11. doug1944

Caravan Holidays

Hi. I started thinking of all the Caravan holidays which we took in the 1930`s, 40`s, 50`s and 60`s. I can recall North Wales, West Wales, Weston, Devon (North and South ), Cornwall, Dorset and Norfolk. The vans were gaslit, water by carrier, curtains, condensation, bunk beds with blankets, 2...
  12. doug1944

Motorcycle Shops

I used to get old bits and pieces for my old british bikes from a chap at the Old Mill near Belbrougton. Several floors of dismantled old bikes, but I just cant remember the name. Anyone recall who it was ?
  13. doug1944

Lickey Hills

A couple of prints (taken from a set of greeting cards) relating to trams in Lickey Rd and at Lickey turning circle.
  14. doug1944

What make is Uncle Harry`s car ?

Hi Lloyd, Many thanks as you seem to have identified the car very quickly. Cheers mate
  15. doug1944

What make is Uncle Harry`s car ?

This is Uncle Harry and Aunty Vi with their first car in 1930. I dont know the make of car but someone suggested it may be a Jowett. Anyone got any ideas ?
Back