• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by DJRVST

1. DJRVST

Cause of Death??

That hangs together well. I tried all manner of various spellings and wildcard searches and didn't come up with anything, but I didn't think of an abbreviation. Happy hunting.
  2. DJRVST

Cause of Death??

The best I can think of at the moment is: Look at the y in Mary. The capital E's vary have a look at the date in particular. No more than supposition because I can't find a definitive example, but my Occam's Razor vote/best guess is an E. There are some Palaeography books available from various...
  3. DJRVST

Cause of Death??

Sorry, question already answered I've just seen the 1870 above. My brother had the condition develop and could not sleep with it untreated.
  4. DJRVST

Cause of Death??

It could be Eczema with a y not a z. I've looked at a list of letter shapes from old documents and it seems to fit. What is the date of the cert? I can see the possibility because of the nature of the condition without modern drugs.
  5. DJRVST

The Eagle and Ball Pub

No his name was Bartholomew Condley and the date I have is 1879
  6. DJRVST

The Eagle and Ball Pub

Thank you for posting this. One of my wife's ancestors was landlord at 1 Moseley St in the late 1870's. Do you have any idea of the date of the photograph?
  7. DJRVST

Prefabs

Very interesting article. I lived in a UK100. ( I intend to liberally quote it in conversations- and ask in quizzes!!!!).
  8. DJRVST

Caroline Street / St Pauls Square

Thank you. I'll see what I can determine with that information. Intriguing.
  9. DJRVST

Caroline Street / St Pauls Square

My great Grandfather attended J.T. Godfrey's Commercial Academy in Caroline Street in 1846 (I have one of his exercise books). I have not been able to find out whereabouts it was on the street. I know where Caroline Street is but the address of the Academy is proving elusive as the book only...
  10. DJRVST

Turnberry road

Thanks for the image, it has a great level of detail and I can see my childhood home and the line of the brook, woods and field which were our playground.
  11. DJRVST

Turnberry road

Thank you for the information and forbearance oldMohawk. I realised as I hit post that I'd made a mistake-I sometime have a dispute with my "2 in 1" machine if I fail to give it due attention!!!
  12. DJRVST

Turnberry road

13. DJRVST

Writing up family history

I can echo that experience. As it says above you can use clues and even if they are proven wrong it narrows your search down. On one issue it took me five years to find the correct pathway. I have in research put a great deal of work into analysing possible data, found what appeared to be the...
  14. DJRVST

A further thought. Ancestry and others are OK for printing out charts but be very wary of copying unverified data from other contributed trees. Many folk are OK but there is a lot of poorly researched nonsense which can lead you astray. I have on a number of occasions pointed out to authors...
  15. DJRVST

Hi If you want to buy downloadable maps or paper copies by post try Midland Ancestors (it's a Local History Site). They should have something to help. There may be other sources.
Back