• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Dirty Habit

1. D

FLIGHT's Coaches

Re: coaches If you look at any pictures of Flights Coaches you will see that the vast majority had the number 7 in the registration number.... even the "trade plates" we used at Victoria Road included a 7. And if I remember correctly, Ken Flight was very superstitious and did not come into work...
  2. D

Witton Road

Than you mikejee, That is a much clearer and detailed map, it even shows the two protruding bay windows on our house. I also see that the shop we always knew as "The Wool Shop" was at sometime a Post Office.
  3. D

Witton Road

I recently got myself a 1913 OS map showing my old house at 3/146 Witton Rd. Can anyone tell me what the long strip of land may be that runs right across the map and has black dots along it.... is it a boundary or pathway. Our house was unusual as it only had windows and a door on one wall, just...
  4. D

Davenports

As an ex-Davenports employee I could not resist this when it came up on Ebay.... although I did have to buy it from New York
  5. D

pub mystery

Looking at the picture of The Dolphin it easy to understand how the coach buried it' self in the pub. I believe it went straight through the doors and as it was only windows either side, there was nothing to stop it. I think that the pub was empty as it had recently closed due to redevelopment...
  6. D

pub mystery

.... just to add. If I am successful getting a picture, I will (with permission) post it here.
  7. D

pub mystery

Thanks to Astoness, I have found the pub I helped to destroy. While Six Ways was being redeveloped, a lot of traffic from town used Summer Lane and on a journey home to Witton Road I got snarled up in traffic. I decided to try an alternative and turned into Frankfort St. That was the last thing...
  8. D

The globe, Blews Street newtown

When I first moved to Newtown, I met a young Irish barmaid, Gemma in the Clements Arm and she was in lodgings at the Globe. We used to have some great "after hours" in the Globe. Yet another great girl I let get away..:sorrow:
  9. D

Davenports

Sorry for rambling on but this thread has brought many memories of my days with Davenports.... although I still have trouble remembering peoples names. Do any of you remember the individual beers? There was "Top Brew" and "Top Brew Deluxe", My favourite was "Top Brew Deluxe". It won top...
  10. D

Davenports

We had a two pint daily allowance of beer that could only be drunk on the premises... not a good thing for those of us who were delivery drivers and had to down the two pints quickly after returning to the brewery and then drive home. I was a shop steward and I did get that changed to a weekly...
  11. D

Davenports

The guy shown in the ad was one of the Beer at Home drivers... and not an actor. In other ads it was Mr Daniels, one of the directors.
  12. D

Davenports

I think the Beer at Home drivers had long brown coats.
  13. D

Davenports

Brings back memories... so much better than the red plastic crate that they replaced them with..
  14. D

Davenports

Seeing the picture of the Bedford TM brought back a few memories from my days at Davenports... We only had three of those Bedford's so I know I would have driven it....
  15. D

Davenports

Re.. wooden crates. I remember many years ago when I worked at Davenports, delivering hundreds of the old wooden crates to a golf club somewhere in Solihull for a Bonfire Night.
Back