• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by dipseydiva

1. D

Wilton Street Lozells

Hi, I am looking for any information/memories/photos of Wilton Street. My husbands mother [whom he never knew] grew up in Wilton Street. The family name was Smith and they lived at number 2 back of 181 from at least 1911 until at least 1955. There were at least 12 children. Many thanks.
  2. D

Bensons' Hardware Shop

I hope this is the correct thread.  Does anyone remember a shop called Bensons', it was a traditional old hardware shop that sold everything from paint to china tea sets.  I think it also sold furniture from the upstairs room.  The problem is I can't remember where it was!&nbsp...
  3. D

Smith - Smith marriage 1851

Hi Rosie, thanks for that info. I don't think that it can be the marriage I am looking for. My Maria had an illegitimate son in 1846 so I know her maiden name was Smith. In 1861 she was living with a William Smith so I hoped this was their marriage but I guess I will need to keep digging...
  4. D

Smith - Smith marriage 1851

Hi, according to family search my husbands 2 x great grandmother Maria Smith [that was her maiden name] married William Smith on 8 November 1851 at St Martins. I wonder if anyone has any more information especially her fathers name. Many thanks Jan
  5. D

Key Hill Cemetery

Hi, Shortie and Key Hill Brian, many many thanks for your information. I knew someone would be able to answer my questions.
  6. D

Key Hill Cemetery

Key Hill Cemetery Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. I have found the burial records of my 3xgreat grandparents at Key Hill but I don't fully understand the references attached to them. Firstly, Ralph Butler 1864 Corridor 1 [vault] 18698 Sep Entombment He died in 1864, I presume he is...
  7. D

Co-op and "The Tunnel"

Hi, the tunnel ran from the main co-op side between the restaurant and the coffee shop and opposite the lift to the Big Top side which was the gardening / household goods. The one side of the tunnel had displays of goods from the household section. My Mom worked at the co-op for most of her...
  8. D

GREEN ELLENb 1875

Re: Missing: ELLEN GREEN b 1875 Hi, there are two possible marriages I have found 1/ Bham JFM 1892 to Alfred Pumperry - found in 1901 census as Ellen Pumphrey born 1874 Bham 2/ Aston AMJ 1897 to Samuel Child - found in 1901 census as Ellen Child born 1875 Bham Hope this may help
  9. D

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted thanks to Ray Griffiths...

Re: Aston and lozells pic reposted... Hi, I've just seen the photo of Wilton Street and I wondered if anyone could remember the house numbers. My husbands birth family lived at 181 from about 1911 to the 1950s and we would love to have an idea if it was visible on the photo. Many thanks.
  10. D

Can anyone read this occupation?

Hi, does it say letter carrier
  11. D

Workhouse Death - 1a Raddle Barn Road, Selly Oak

Hi, my great, great, grandmother died at 2 Raddle Barn Road in 1922. I believe this was the workhouse infirmary. Her home address on the death certificate is given as being in Sparkbrook. However, she is buried in the churchyard at Catshill near Bromsgrove where she was born. I imagine the...
  12. D

PANDFIELD William Godridge

Re: William Godridge PANDFIELD Hi, I have found the family in the 1891 census; Wyndham S Pandfield born 1843 West Indies, a photographer Bessie Pandfield born 1856 Tamworth Florence B Pandfield born 1878 Evercreech Somerset William G Pandfield born 1887 Southampton Wyndham S Pandfield...
  13. D

Onions (Samuel Isaac and Florence May)

Hi, I had a similar situation and when I looked further I found that the person had been born before his mothers marriage and so was baptized with her maiden name. His mother then married and for a time the child used the married name, when he got married he was shown as one name alias the...
  14. D

Big Top 1959

Hi, yes there was a passage linking both sides of the co-op. The one end was by the basement restaurant and the tea bar and the other end went into the kitchen ware department. The passage had glass fronted displays along the sides. The old lifts had lift operaters who sat on a small seat...
  15. D

legal/illegal marriages

Hi, thanks for those replies, as sistersue61 says that is a very interesting link. I wonder just how common it was to break those laws when remarrying ?
Back