• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Dido

1. D

Duffy,Werrett,Talbot,Theay,Kane,Barett,Walker

Hi @WelshBrummie03 Yes, they are the right people. Centre of the photo with their children around them. Me at the front in specs!
  2. D

Lupin Street, Aston

O h what a shame! Families eh!! There's a man on the right who looks like Al - I wondered whether it could be his brother, your uncle?
  3. D

Hi Deltics. Did you see the photo I posted in the other thread of Lily and Al's leaving party? There must surely be people related to you on there. Hope so!
  4. D

Hi, only just seen this. I believe you're in contact with my cousin GilberS. I hope he's told you about my visit to your nan's in the 60s. I've very fond memories of it, her and your mother on that trip. Would love to find out more if possible.
  5. D

Lupin Street, Aston

Anyone recognise any of the guests here?
  6. D

Lupin Street, Aston

Here is the promised photo. Lily and Al's leaving party as they emigrated on the £10 Poms scheme. Hope you - Deltics and Welsh Brummie - might recognise a few. I'm the little sweetie in NHS glasses, leaning against Linda in the front. Not sure who coloured in Stephen's socks!
  7. D

Lupin Street, Aston

Yep! That's all spot on MWS except my mom was Winefride, as Gilbersj says. Thank you.
  8. D

Lupin Street, Aston

Great pic. Thank you. I'll sort out the Mercury pic and let you have a look. If you give me your email address I'll pass to Linda too. thank you D x
  9. D

Lupin Street, Aston

Lily Smallwood - later Wellings, now sadly deceased - was my mom's cousin. Linda is her daughter. As I said, I'll happily pass your details on. I'm sure she'd love to hear from you. And let me know if you'd like to see the picture I mentioned.
  10. D

Lupin Street, Aston

Also, how are you linked to Talbots please?
  11. D

Lupin Street, Aston

Did you go to their leaving party? I have a photo that appeared in the Sunday mercury at that time; if you were, you're probably on it. If you want me to pass your details on to Linda, let me know and I'll happily do that.
  12. D

Stechford Area

ha ha. It was Manor Rd. I think it was a Sunblest bakery. I remember the lovely smell from there as we used to walk to the baths round the corner.
  13. D

Stechford Area

Also, I remember Jacks - there was an alley way that ran behind it from the main road through to Flaxley Rd that I used to hide in. Lol. Simple things...
  14. D

Stechford Area

@FlaxleyGirl I didn't go to CC - Our Lady's was my primary school. My much older brother got married at CC. Father Corcoran was the parish priest at that time; a giant of a man, at least to little me! The church at that time (mid 60s) was a wooden 'hut'. Mom and I often went to mass there if...
  15. D

Stechford Area

That pic reminded me that I loved the name of the hairdressers: Toni. I thought it was so modern, unlike the names I was used to: Mary, Susan, Diane, Margaret. I used to ask my mom why she didn't call me Toni. I'd forgotten that until now :)
Back