• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by devonjim

1. devonjim

In the Garden 2020

At the beginning of the month some guy on the radio said to help bees not to cut the lawn for the month of May. Any excuse to get out of a chore! Yesterday sat and listened to the bees and watched them enjoy my crop of daisies and buttercups.
  2. devonjim

Railway infrastructure and engineering development

Interesting series of programmes on "Yesterday" FreeView25 "The Architecture that the railways built". Episode tonight 11.00pm.
  3. devonjim

City Centre Photographs

Does this post from "Two" mean that the National CashRegister was on the corner of Bailey Street and not Steelhouse Lane? ie North of Loveday Street.
  4. devonjim

Hall Green Technical College

Went to a lecture at Cadbury's by Mr Sheppard-Fidler about design of Birmingham Council houses. Probably 1958 or thereabouts. Was a pupil at Hall Green Tech very early 1960's Did a NEBBS management course followed by a City & Guilds in engineering or maybe the other way around.
  5. devonjim

City Centre Photographs

Here's another "where could this be", lots of clues, but they don't stir my little grey cells.
  6. devonjim

Situation Comedy

Haven't been completely through this thread but I did do a search and was surprised not to find Kelly Monteith, loved his TV show, was it in the 80's? Even saw him at the Hippodrome. Lots on You Tube.
  7. devonjim

Windows 10

Gosh, Jim you talk my language. I assume you use Windows10 as you are on this page, what I do is to do a screen dump then use the "Photos" editing tool to extract the portion I need, works for me.
  8. devonjim

Windows 10

Re. Touch pad driver diagnostics. Thanks for all the advice. Must admit to being apprehensive about "fiddling". Laptop does it automatic monthly update and I carry on using it as before! Anyway this diagnostic was becoming a nuisance so I read the advice proffered and the whole problem...
  9. devonjim

Street Name Origins

I can but quote from Carl Chinn:-This may take it's name from a pool where docks or water lilies grew, and it is interesting to note that there was a Dogge Lane mentioned near to the present Hazelwood Road in 1580. Certainly there is a pool in the vicinity just to the west of the river Rea and...
  10. devonjim

Silversmith- Thomas Henry Manton - James Manton

Alright it was twelve years since this thread was last used. But I work on the principle that on BHF someone will know the answer to just about anything. I don't believe that this has any link to Birmingham, but I found this, shall we say white metal dish which I like, for all of 10p in a local...
  11. devonjim

Where to find out how a street got its name?

Do you remember the track behind the houses in Vera Rd., opposite the park in Moat Lane, by the bus stop. I'm being told it was called "Woodbank" Is that right? I always thought it was just an access to an allotment site. I thought I know a man who will know!
  12. devonjim

Windows 10

As I've said before I don't do anything complicated on any computer so get surprised when something different starts to happen. What is TouchPad Driver Diagnostics all about? Seems to be dumping stuff in Documents folder. Why? No idea why it started to appear. Can it be stopped? Thanks in...
  13. devonjim

Kirby family (between 1891 and 1911)

Don't think our Kirby branch is related to any of the above. 1911 Census found them at 64 Church Lane, Aston. William Kirby 43 Janet Letitia Kirby 43 (Nee While) Eva Dorothy Kirby 16 William Norman Kirby 15 Lawrence Victor Kirby 13 Reginald John Kirby 11 Janet Elizabeth Kirby 10 James Frederick...
  14. devonjim

ITV NEWS CENTRAL - PHOTOGRAPHS FROM THE CELEBRATION OF VE DAY IN 1945?

Just to pull this thread back to the top of the heap. I managed to sort out a couple of family pictures of VE Day which introduces the fact that at that time Birmingham was the recipient of evacuees.
  15. devonjim

Congreve Street

Looking along Gt Charles St.?