• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by devonjim

1. devonjim

See Birmingham by Post Card

Not sure but I think it is a lime tree!
  2. devonjim

See Birmingham by Post Card

Used to park up adjacent to that tree some twenty years ago when I was a "white van man" making deliveries for a wholesale pharmacists (LexonUK) to the retailer there on the left.
  3. devonjim

Midland Cycling & Athletic Club

Many years ago I knew a WW1 veteran who lived in Lozells. He would speak fondly of his time out riding with his local cycling club, the Anglesey Wheelers. Anyone have knowledge of this organisation?
  4. devonjim

Waverley Grammar School

My wife was at Waverley 51-56 she remembered the form master Mr "Butch" Frost, who was an English Language teacher. She also recalled a German Language teacher Miss Stansfield(Stanna) but with less affection!
  5. devonjim

Gladstone Road, Sparkbrook

My great grand parents lived within the area shown by RobT, on the corner of Medlicott Rd. and Abbotsford Rd., amazingly the house is still there today(GoogleMap) makes you appreciate what a lottery it was for our relatives to live at that time.
  6. devonjim

Computer help please.

Getting an advert on BHF for "Xtra-PC" What's that about? Has anyone tried it?
  7. devonjim

Hardy Spicers Ltd

Richard. I am too confused! I had not long been at Hardy Spicer when this fatal accident happened. The names are unreliable, certainly not Peter Wheeler could have been John Washbourne.
  8. devonjim

Hardy Spicers Ltd

It must have been in early 1970's that John was killed in a car accident on Pershore Rd. I had only been at HS a short while and knew him as a member of the sales team. ps. Memory kicking in, I now remember the name as Peter Wheeler.
  9. devonjim

Windows 10

Richard, I don't have the confidence to change things on computers, for "Edge" to be my default browser that's what it came with!
  10. devonjim

Windows 10

Anyone else noticed that Windows10 acting differently since recent update? Doesn't open directly from "Start screen" needs that you subsequently click "Edge logo"
  11. devonjim

HS2 Archaeology

Just a reminder tonight's episode on at the earlier time of 8.00pm.
  12. devonjim

Wilmot Breeden Limited

It was 1970 before the M6 was built over Shap. Stan Whitehead, who you will remember, went out of retirement to work as a civil engineer on this stretch.
  13. devonjim

Wilmot Breeden Limited

Arnold, "Dined out" for ages on this story. I was one of the drivers, on the Snowdon-Birmingham leg, and I appeared in the TV news programme on the Monday evening. I have never before seen the newspaper cutting. If I remember correctly the only motorway at that time was M6 from Gailey, did we...
  14. devonjim

HS2 Archaeology

The lessons from the programme so far it seems to me is that if you want your remains preserved arrange to be buried in wet clay soil and to have a lead coffin plate! And if you want to save on funeral expenses donate your body to medical research.
  15. devonjim

HS2 Archaeology

I see that the next programme(29/09) is on at the earlier time of 8.00pm, this again features Birmingham. In the past remains finished up in an ossuary and didn't get the respect being shown on this occasion.