• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by devonjim

1. devonjim

its mikejees birthday

Have a great day, thanks for your many posts, a map for all occasions!
  2. devonjim

Garretts Green College

I lived in Garretts Green and so could have staggered downhill to the tech BUT always got sent to techs elsewhere, Aston, Hall Green, Matthew Boulton (Suffolk St.), North, Gosta Green, so despite walking past GG daily I never ever went inside. Provided work for local moms for years, catering and...
  3. devonjim

Kardomah

KD New St.
  4. devonjim

Commercial vans.

Remember the Pinnick's shop in Green Lane Small Heath, I think there was another in Balsall Heath. Peter Pinnick, the son was an apprentice at Wilmot Breeden, Umberslade in late 1950's
  5. devonjim

Slab cake

I had a Saturday job while at school (1950's) with the local Scribbans bread man, we often had precut individual slices of cherry genoa cake wrapped in cellophane available to sell.
  6. devonjim

Slab cake

I associate the name Scribban's-Kemp with slab cake, their cherry genoa was delicious. https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Scribbans_and_Co
  7. devonjim

Blundells of Aston

Near the "Vine" on Green Lane Small Heath the cinema was turned into a cash and carry shop, was that a Blundell's? May be not. S&U was on Egbaston St. opposite the Midland Red bus station. In 1980's I would occasionally see a childhood hero, Gil Merrick, who at this time worked for S&U, didn't...
  8. devonjim

Bull Ring 1960s - 1980s

I had a friend in those days who could interpret engineering drawings into artists impressions with perspective views. No doubt a talent made obsolete by technology!
  9. devonjim

Coventry Road South Yardley

That car park was really tight, in early 1960's I had a 1930's Wolseley NF and I always had to back up a couple of times to get around each of the turns.
  10. devonjim

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Piccadilly Cinema, Sparkhill.
  11. devonjim

Opposite Ash Tree Rd.
  12. devonjim

Very familiar, bus coming towards us is in John Bright St. The road to the left of "Newnes" is Suffolk St. The photographer would have been in what is now Holloway Circus,
  13. devonjim

House interiors

I realise that it is probably a result of the soaring cost of gas and electricity but has anyone else noticed the smell of wood/coalfire smoke, not sure which, around housing estates these days. Is it legal? It almost certainly not "green"
  14. devonjim

The shrinking bus network

I feel I may have said this before. We are fortunate to have a excellent bus timetable and I have a senior's bus pass so why wouldn't I use the bus BUT buses can't be relied on to show up, shortage of drivers, aborted journeys because of traffic hold-ups so you can finish up late or in this...
  15. devonjim

Corona Pop Tyseley

Lengthy thread about Wilmot Breeden on the forum. "Paint Works" was Permaglaze. "FruitDrink & Mineral Water" was Corona! both in James Rd
Back