• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Derrick K Hartley

1. Derrick K Hartley

How did they get their names?

I agree superdad3 - a fine sentiment! Especially when we had a rare pub name in the Woodbine Tavern! After my research I have found it was boarded up since the 1980s and then demolished after 2013 to help accommodate a new building for the next door Grammar School. (My old school.) Here are...
  2. Derrick K Hartley

Thanks Mike! That's what I vaguely remember next to my old school. Pretty clearly it was built as two houses and then became a pub judging from the photo. I've done a bit of research and found it was demolished sometime after 2013 to make way for a new Sixth Form Centre for the school. Oh...
  3. Derrick K Hartley

Could be but Woodbine seems to cover several plants of different species! Which one do Brummies think it is Virginia Creeper, Honeysuckle, Jessamin ??? My money is on Honeysuckle. . . If the pub was built (or changed to one) after about 1890 it could have been named after the cigarette? If...
  4. Derrick K Hartley

Hi Everyone Here's another pub name to get your teeth into! I went to Handsworth Grammar School in the 1950s and remember a little old pub next to it on Grove Lane called the "Woodbine Tavern". I don't suppose it has survived but why did a little pub in Victorian Handsworth get a name like this?
  5. Derrick K Hartley

Jewellers Birmingham early 19th century apprenticeships

Hello Mike Thanks for the list and advice. My Great Grandad was born in 1838 so I’ll keep looking. I’ve Just come across Prof Chinn’s writings Which will keep me busy!
  6. Derrick K Hartley

Jewellers Birmingham early 19th century apprenticeships

Hi Mike I know your reply here is a VERY old post but I was wondering if it was worth it to get hold of a copy of this book? Seems perhaps not :-( My great grandfather Daniel was described as a jeweller in the 1851 Census when he was a mere lad of 13 years old! Any chance of his name being...
  7. Derrick K Hartley

Hi there If anyone has a picture of the Grand Turk looking at the Icknield Street frontage it might show the pub sign? If it was a stern looking guy with a fez or even a turban it might spark off some ideas! Maybe there's a picture in one of the many books on old Brum which I don;'t get to see...
  8. Derrick K Hartley

Hi Lady P. Thanks for the welcome. I have some ideas but I'll wait for suggestions from those who may know better!
  9. Derrick K Hartley

Thanks a lot Lyn! I had found some rather blurry ones but this one of the Benyon shows its sign as an Ansells pub clearly, so that's great. Cheers!
  10. Derrick K Hartley

Hello Everyone I'm a new member venturing my first post so be gentle! My Great Grandfather lived on Hockley Hill and probably frequented either The Grand Turk or the Benyon Arms which were not far away. Does anyone know how they got their names? There are many Saracen's and Turk's Heads and...
Back