• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Dennis Williams

1. Dennis Williams

King Edwards Grammar School Camp Hill

Sorry boys...but another memory Dai Thomas... One of the largest , literally, was my first form master, D.I.”Dai” Thomas. A big Welsh sod straight from a Dylan Thomas novel. A gifted History Master, with latent homicidal tendencies towards us English, but tempered with enough of a dry...
  2. Dennis Williams

Mystery building in Colmore Row

OK....thanks....i can see it now...Great stuff....
  3. Dennis Williams

Mystery building in Colmore Row

Just see this pic posted by old Graham Knight (O.C on here yonks ago), I think from Faces and Places magazine if 1889.....and looking down towards Town Hall, there is a large domed, Cathedral-like building on the right....anyone know what it was? Or am I being thick, as per.....
  4. Dennis Williams

King Edwards Grammar School Camp Hill

My notes... ….an excerpt for my school diaries… Equally ancient and also profoundly deaf was old Len ‘Soss’ Hollingworth, another of the old pre-war guard. Named after a well-known brand of sausage manufacturers of the day, Soss took science and was also a closet train spotter. Being so deaf it...
  5. Dennis Williams

Church Road, Yardley.

Some more stuff to ponder... MAPLELEHURST and SCONE COTTAGE Maplehurst was a complete mystery to me, despite living in Church Road for the last 49 years. It was where the shops and houses are, opposite the Bank and School Buildings at the Yew Tree ….and in those days (1920s) next to Scone...
  6. Dennis Williams

Church Road, Yardley.

Some pics...hope they help...
  7. Dennis Williams

Guide To Birmingham Wholesale & Retail Markets

Same here...I will ignore it...! Thanks again....and keep this amazing Historical Encyclopaedia going for posterity....NOTHING else comes close...Regards.
  8. Dennis Williams

Oh YES.... Cheers mike....now I can ask the audience about the mysterious St Johns Market?
  9. Dennis Williams

HELP! I have had this lovely map of the City for some time, but have forgotton who produced or drew it, and the year it is supposed to represent....? Anyone put me out of my misery? And another thing...on the map is marked St John's Market...??? ..cant find any other ref to it...anyone...
  10. Dennis Williams

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

You are most welcome Sue!
  11. Dennis Williams

Aston Interactive Map

Wow, you are a star! I am an admin on Up Yer Brum on the dreaded FB......But have been a member here since 2010.... Shall I bill you as Brummy Lad, John, or whatever suits you? Once again...many many thanks.......
  12. Dennis Williams

Aston Interactive Map

Brummy-Lad......Is this absolute masterpiece available for displaying on another Brum History Site....with full acknowledgements....
  13. Dennis Williams

Lordswood Maternity Home

LORDSWOOD MATERNITY HOSPITAL Brief History of the Property Lordswood Maternity Hospital started life as a large private house - Lordswood House - built in 1856 by the Rev. Thomas Smith, the first vicar of the original St. John's Church, who lived there for eleven years. Later, the house...
  14. Dennis Williams

Lock keeper’s cottages

My first thoughts too......but as it was captioned thus...I took a chance....! Can't remember where I first saw it.....very frustrating....thanks for your input.......
  15. Dennis Williams

Lock keeper’s cottages

Check out this weirdo.....Camp Hill Lock Keepers Cottage...still there in spite of being surrounded by Industry! And a little distance away from the Canal..!!