• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by davpen

1. davpen

Perry Beeches Secondary School

Hi Wendy.....I was at Beeches 62/67.....Was in 1A Where Gordon Newell was the teacher....On another site his son posted that he passed away a few years ago......I also contacted Mr Linnel......I now live on Phillip Island Vic Aust,,,,,Regards David
  2. davpen

Erdington

I was born in South Rd Erdington 1950......I remember the laundry and the Steam Engines passing the back of the house and blowing their whistles...
  3. davpen

Royal Coronations : Birmingham response

The few Brownie snaps i have (taken by mum) show me wearing my smart overcoat trimmed with velour.... You can see clearly the bunting and Union Flags adorning the houses....... We lived at 82 South Rd Erdington where i was born.... I loved the Steam Engines at the bottom of the garden. I...
  4. davpen

Coronation Celebration Erdington

Great Photo........I was three y o. Lived in South Rd ..Erdington. Mum had photos.. I remember the flags and bunting and i was wearing one of those coats with the felt collars.. HAPPY TIMES......... Were there Street Parties for William and Kates wedding??????
  5. davpen

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Yes you are right.......It was Sunday nights! Last year i went to see John Mayall and band near Melbourne. (He was here for the Byron Bay Blues festival held annually)...He was in the foyer of this venue signing and promoting the new c.d I mentioned i had seen him at Mothers way back...
  6. davpen

Well........We must have been there on the same night.......{late 1968).....Mick Taylor was on lead guitar and they played a fair bit from the newly released album Blues from Laurel Canyon.
  7. davpen

Mothers was a venue for bands that were not "Mainstream"...Yet had loyal followers.. I saw Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac ( Blues band before becoming commercial)......John Mayalls Bluesbreakers (John Mayall still tours the world at 77) .. On reflection i,m glad there was never a fire...it would...
  8. davpen

Cost of football match

Think ninepence is about what its worth seeing the Blues Today.......Go Villa!
  9. davpen

Cost of football match

As a youngster i remember seeing Villa beat Leicester 8-3 Easter 63....I recall it was a shilling to stand on the Witton end... I remember this because i said to my mate........That was great value.....About a penny a goal!!! Things were definately better back then............
  10. davpen

Silly Rhymes.

As we sat just in the glow of the coal fire (i would have been about 4) mum recited the following little pem.... About Willie with the bright red sashes Fell in the fire and was burnt to ashes Even tho the room grows chilly We haven,t the heart to poke poor Willie.
  11. davpen

Where did you live

82 South Rd Erdington... 84 Bandywood Rd Kingstanding 102 Charnwood Rd Great Barr 116 Erdington Rd Aldridge.......Now Phillip Island Victoria Australia.
  12. davpen

Deykin Avenue

My late Dad went to Deykin Ave School probably 1930 to 1938..... The family lived at 130 Wyreley Rd......Sam/Beatrice.. Len, Vic, Charlie, Jean and Colin Pendry. Grandad Sam belonged to the Barn for most of his life.
  13. davpen

Perry Beeches Secondary School

Yes Mary i remember it well.......It was at assembly when we were all packed in as per usual like sardines......seems like yesterday!......
  14. davpen

Bingley Hall

yes.......i went to that one.......not bad for a pound was it! Remember the backdrop behind the stage with the coloured liquid magnified creating the phsycodelic effect.
  15. davpen

New TV memories site

Also......Monday.....Picturebook Tuesday.....AndyPandy Wed. .......Flowerpot Men Thurs Rag tag &Bobtail Fri Woodentops. Loved Mr Pasrty.....Muffin the Mule......The Lone Ranger and the Cisco Kid.......
Back