• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Davidsteam

1. Davidsteam

William Street...Lozells

So where there appears to be 3 doorways, is the middle one access to a courtyard?
  2. Davidsteam

The Eagle and Ball Pub

Im interested in the Morville St Eagle and Ball, particularly the history after 1861 (George Palser), Would the landlord have brewed his own beer or resold from a larger brewery? I see its an Ansells pub in the 50s or 60s photo, I presume its by then a tied house? Would Ansells have acquired...
  3. Davidsteam

The Eagle and Ball Pub

Interesting item, what is its purpose? I can only guess it is along the lines of what we would call a credit note today whats on the other side?
  4. Davidsteam

William Street...Lozells

I found this article about William Street : https://brummiefamilytree.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/story-of-mary-ohagan.html, It seems incredible to have survived a further 80 years after being described as, In 1886, William Street was specifically cited by Birmingham‘s Medical Officer as having...
  5. Davidsteam

William Street...Lozells

I have just spent the last hour trying to find 61 William St, Lozells, using various online maps, only to find it is underneath the Holte leisure centre. (I hope the link below works). This address in 1891 had my branch of the Turley family living there, all 9 of them, and my gt, grandparents...
  6. Davidsteam

Lanchester Cars

I take it this building is the one still standing in Formans Road, now a meat warehouse? Am I correct in my thoughts?
  7. Davidsteam

Lanchester Cars

I take it this building is the one still standing in Formans Road, now a meat warehouse?
  8. Davidsteam

Lucas Yuasa batteries Forman’s Road Sparkhill

Family history brings me to this thread, 198 Formans Road to be precise. This property was standing in 1918, the 25" OS map (1892-1905) show a couple of terraces looking out on allotments. What year was Lucas works built? What is its history...
  9. Davidsteam

The Eagle and Ball Pub

Post Script. Just checking on maps.nls.uk, the actual site of the pub is lost under the eastbound carriageway of Ladywood Middleway. https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=52.4754&lon=-1.9223&layers=168&right=BingHyb
  10. Davidsteam

The Eagle and Ball Pub

What a sad photo of the pub on Morville street, I take it this now the site of the Five ways medical centre? This is the pub George Palser was the landlord (1861 census) who was my gt,gt grandfather. His photo is in the Palser thread on this forum. Nice conclusion to an old photo of a nameless...
  11. Davidsteam

The Eagle and Ball Pub

Thanks for the map extract. I am struggling to find Ladywood Road on a modern map, is it now Ladywood Parkway?
  12. Davidsteam

The Eagle and Ball Pub

Would these be (1) Gopsal St (surviving as students union), (2) 70 Ladywood Road Thomas Palser (1912 Directory)and (3) Morville St - George Palser (1861/2Census and Directory). 2 and 3 seem to be a strange coincidence, 2 different Eagle and Ball pubs both listed with Palsers? David
  13. Davidsteam

Aston WW1 Roll Call

Where is this information located ?, I cant see an obvious link
  14. Davidsteam

War Memorials

Another family member checked out Daisy on Ancestory, yes another Smith we had no knowledge of. So another big thank you to all of you who have looked. David
  15. Davidsteam

War Memorials

Hello to you all, Ive not looked in for a while as I have been persuing other avenues. This is fantastic news! I am really impressed, these are definately 'my Smiths' ; Harold is my grandfather, His brother Stanley was born in USA, the explanation of his baptisim two years later, the family...
Back