• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by DavidGrain

1. D

ANN STREET CITY CENTRE

I have spoken to my friend who says that he does not remember when the current building was built as he was working for Lloyds Bank in an office they had in Brindley Place but he used to go to meetings around about 2000 in Colmore Row. He was the one who told me that the part of the building now...
  2. D

ANN STREET CITY CENTRE

I have managed to find a photo of the 1960s Lloyds Bank Colmore Row but do not yet have a date when this was demolished. You may need to click on the picture to see it properly.
  3. D

ANN STREET CITY CENTRE

Maurice. Actually Westminster Bank was in the blank space on the map that Mikejee posted on the corner of Colmore Row and Newhall Street. It was then replaced by the NatWest Tower which during the past two years has also been demolished and replaced with another tower block. I have not been in...
  4. D

Scams: Telephone, email, texts, other 2021

I have had 5 calls in two days, the first at 8.00am on Monday claiming to be from Amazon thanking me for my order and if I did not cancel it they will ship me an iPhone 7 costing £300+, I did not bother to remember the exact amount. I am still waiting for the iPhone that I did not order. There...
  5. D

Scams: Telephone, email, texts, other 2021

Have just received a text message claiming to be from Lloyds telling me that an unknown device had been paired with my account and that if it was not me then I should contact a web address. I do not have a Lloyds account. I then looked at the link address which ended in .me. The Me domain allows...
  6. D

Davenports

I have just come across this thread having made a reference to Davenports on another thread so I am posting this link. http://www.davenports.co.uk/about-us/vintage-tv-ads/ I apologise if this link has been given before as i said I have just come across it. If you go to the link you will find...
  7. D

Air raid shelters

Yes there is a part 2 but very difficult to find. I have not watched that yet but I thought it would be easy to find as I was offered it immediately after watching the first part. If you go to http://www.davenports.co.uk/about-us/vintage-tv-ads/ you will find several of the old cinema/TV ads and...
  8. D

Air raid shelters

Have just been watching an old film about the history of Davenports Brewery It covers the story of the time in WWII showing the practice evacuations to the air raid shelter. It said that 4-500 people sheltered there at night and that there was a first aid post open day and night staffed by...
  9. D

ANN STREET CITY CENTRE

Many thanks Viv, I am passing that information on to my friend.
  10. D

ANN STREET CITY CENTRE

Viv Do you have any information about the location of Lloyds Bank at that time. A friend of mine has an old cheque drawn on Lloyds Bank Ann Street Birmingham and we were wondering if it was at the location next to Eden Place which became Lloyds Bank Colmore Row. David
  11. D

Elmdon Airport

I flew from the old terminal a few times in the 1970s and early 1980s but most of my international flights in those days I made by driving to Heathrow. The new terminal openned in 1984 and since then all my flights have been from Birmingham except for a couple from Gatwick.
  12. D

Elmdon Airport

I think the aircraft would have been owned by Railway Air Services, a joint operation by the big four railway companies and Imperial Airways. You were actually advised to send your luggage by the railways Lugage in Advance service.
  13. D

Telephone Service in Birmingham

I have checked the Birmingham Library Catalogue and there are 2 copies in the Reference Library. A history of the Birmingham telephone area Tupling, R. E.1978
  14. D

City Centre Photographs

Fox furs lasted until the 1950s and when I was clearing the house of a great aunt, I found one. To me as a child I thought they were horible as some had the legs dangling down.
  15. D

Temple Row

I knew of the old connection between Rackhams and Wilkinson & Riddell but I did not know that they were on adjacent sites. I knew Wilkinson & Riddell in Cornwall Street as my mother had an account there. It would be only a few years later that they moved again to Priory Queensway where their...