• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by DavidGrain

1. D

Birmingham buses

A small correction. The 74 to Dudley took the Soho Road route. It was the 87 which took the Dudley Road route.
  2. D

Canals of Birmingham

I remember watching a film in which an American western town bought a school mail order and when they built it, it turned out to be a chapel. Anyway perhaps we should stop as we are going off topic here.
  3. D

Scams: telephone, email, texts 2023, 2024

Had a couple of scam emails lately claiming to offer £100 vouchers for McDonald's. This is particularly dangerous as it is obviously aimed a youngsters who would not possibly be so scam savvy. Both were sent from Italian email addresses.
  4. D

Canals of Birmingham

When I read you comment about taking issue with a reference to Farmers Bridge, I thought you were going to comment about the confusion about the location of Framers Bridge Junction. For years the junction behind the ICC was described as Farmers Bridge Junction. That was not correct and I blame...
  5. D

New Street Station From1854

Presumable stacks of mailbags on the platform which will not be seen these days. From the bend in the platform this would be on the Midland side of the station, I would guess platform 12.
  6. D

Moseley Kings Heath Line

l think the argument about not reopening Balsall Heath was that geographically it was close to the city centre and the railway line takes a long sweep round via St Andrews so trains would have no advantage over buses. Conversely on the Cross City Line Five Ways is a destination station in itself.
  7. D

Aston - Stechford special

I now live on the Stourbridge Line and at about 10,20pm weekdays, the Tesco train from South Wales to Daventry passes my local station and I know that its onward route is Galton Curve, Soho Loop, Aston-Stetchford Line .
  8. D

Occupations That Have Faded Away

From the middle ages there were many trade guilds in various towns and cities in the UK but very few still survive outside the City of London. One that does still exist is The Fellmongers Company of Richmond Yorkshire. See https://www.fellmongers.org.uk/ for a note about their history
  9. D

Snow Hill Station

I often saw Kings on the up Cambrian Coast on Saturdays but I just watched trains, I never was taking down loco numbers. I once saw two Kings double heading but since then everybody has told me that never happened and would never have been possible but if Wolverhampton had an engine that needed...
  10. D

Temple Row

That is a rumble strip to warn car drivers that they are entering a restricted area.
  11. D

Curzon Street Railway Station

The Turnpike trusts were abolished in 1888 so the reference to toll gates would imply before this date but locals might have continued to refer to the location of toll gates after this date
  12. D

Its good to know some old buildings are being used and not destroyed

The former Birmingham Municipal Bank Head Office in Broad Street is now owned by University of Birmingham and is open to the public. There is also a cafe in the former banking hall and I can recommend it for a quick meal or just a hot drink. In the Vaults they have removed some of the old...
  13. D

New Street Station 1967

The fact is that the signal box has served its purpose and is no longer of use for what it was originally designed for. Over the years control of the signalling on the railways in the West Midlands has been moved to Saltley and the final act following the recent re-signalling of New Street would...
  14. D

Elmdon Airport

The old sign had 16 destinations, the present signpost has just 12 that I have counted. Thanks for your replies. I am sure I had seen the present sign post but could not remember where it was.
  15. D

Elmdon Airport

This from Post #18 I am sure I have seen it in more recent times, but I cannot remember where. Is it perhaps on one of the roundabouts on the approach roads to the airport? Several former airports listed.
Back