• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

DavidGrain's latest activity

• D
    DavidGrain replied to the thread HSBC Bank.
    The Head Office of HSBC UK is now in Broad Street. I was going to photograph it but have not been in the City Centre since the start of...
  • D
    DavidGrain replied to the thread Jim Crow.
    Just to complete the history in 1854 Albright terminated his partnership with Sturge and took John Edward Wilson into partnership in...
  • D
    Thank you for tracing it. Yes that is the one that I meant. Perhaps I jumped to quickly to a conclusion. Looking closer it does look as...
  • D
    I think we have established that if this is the Wycliffe Chapel then the bus would have been travelling South East on St Luke's Road...
    • 1587372262063.png
  • D
    August bank holiday in those day was first Monday in August so that would have been the Saturday of the bank holiday weekend
  • D
    Slavery has been illegal in Britain since medieval times. The Slave Trade was made illegal in 1807.
  • D
    DavidGrain replied to the thread Gas Retort Gas Street.
    I have just seen a trailer on BBC TV for Songs of Praise today (Easter Sunday) coming from the centre of Birmingham so I expect some...
  • D
    DavidGrain replied to the thread Snow Hill (the Road).
    I am having a little difficulty orientating myself with this photo. This is mainly because I don't remember a Midland Bank in that area...
  • D
    DavidGrain replied to the thread Granville Street.
    Looking at Street View, this appears to be the oldest building in Granville Street. I cannot tell if it is 128 but it is in the correct...
    • 1586173492148.png
  • D
    DavidGrain replied to the thread George Dixons Grammar School.
    I have mentioned Toffee Sharp before. At the Centenary of the City Road building I went for the open day and met him again and was...
  • D
    DavidGrain replied to the thread Childhood Memories Of Trains.
    The pannier tanks came after Western Region took over the line from London Midland Region. I don't remember what date that was but I do...
  • D
    DavidGrain replied to the thread Elmdon Airport.
    The only place that I know where airships still fly regularly is the Zeppelin Museum. I saw this coming in to land whilst waiting for my...
    • DSCN4143 Small.JPG
  • D
    DavidGrain replied to the thread Congreve Street.
    This has been pedestrian only probably since the building of the concrete library so I don't expect road traffic to use this again.
  • D
    Hello and welcome. Hope you are better soon.
  • D
    DavidGrain reacted to Heartland's post in the thread Curzon Street Railway Station with Appreciate Appreciate.
    I am waiting to see if those looking at the locomotive shed, find the underground coke storage and may be the 18 inch gauge railway that...