• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by David George

1. D

Fazeley street

Anyone know why Fazeley Street was 'stopped up' in the 1830s? The Vestrey Clerk, Gem stated ' Agreat deal of money was expended in that unfortunate law case, the stopping up of Fezeley Street...' He was quite indignant about a legal ruling that didn't go his way, though I'm unsure what it was.
  2. D

High & Low Bailiffs

On the subject of minor officials, I'v e been researching somethhing entirely different but came across a 'Constable of Birmingham'. This was in the early 1830s. Samuel Rawlins had been appointed constable of Birmingham in September 1836, but this was an unpaid, honorary office. [1] He had taken...
  3. D

Church rate riots and the Wolfson Centre for Archival Research.

Hi everyone, I’m a historian looking into the St. Martin’s church ‘riot’ of 1831, (it wasn’t really a riot at all) and in particular the actions of the reverend Thomas Moseley, and the political struggle between the Birmingham Political Union (who fought for franchise reform and sought to end...
Back