• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by David Brewer

1. D

Marsh Hill Boys Grammar Tech School

I remember a rugby practice session in the gym . I was a big kid over 6 foot . Mr Barrell tackeled me and , and I am not sure how , I left him on the floor . Total respect to him , when I seriously apologised he told me he should have seen it coming . Decent guy who I respected .
  2. D

Toy/Model Shops City Centre

Are you talking about the Perry's, who for some years owned the model shop opposite the Capitol. The son , if I remember correctly was named Chris. After the father was either ill or died , the shop was sold . Later the family took over the shop in Burlington Passage.
  3. D

A family named Perry opened a model shop opposite the Capitol cinema in the 1950s . The shop changed hands either due to illness or death of the owner . This must have been late 60s or very early 70s . The surving family ( mother , son and daughter ) then bought the model shop in Burlington...
  4. D

Yes I went there in the early 70s . Small but well stocked general model shop . Had my hair cut there once , the owner was better at selling models than he was at cutting hair
  5. D

In 1977 a model shop called Roundhouse Models opened on Bristol Road Selly Oak owned by Geoff Greenfield and David Brewer . It only sold trains. In 1978 David decided his future was making his own business and the partnership was dissolved. The two remained friends and Roundhouse Models was...
  6. D

Erdington Picture House

Hi Folks , I think I only went once to the Palace early in 1968 . I seem to remember the seat backs were unusually high and that there were some double seats for courting couples. Am I correct or just getting old . David
  7. D

Thanks Morturn , Got back in touch with an old school friend who I had not spoken to for 46 years Great sharing memories .
  8. D

Hi Phil , Long time no see . I enjoyed my school years , but not school . I got caned in the 4th year . Markwell told me to hold out my left hand , which I did . He then told me it was not my left hand . So I held out my right hand and got three strokes . I then asked him for a note to excuse me...
Back