• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by DaveHaw

1. D

its mikejees birthday

A very Happy belated Birthday Mike! And a big thank you for all the work and effort you do for the forum!
  2. D

Warwick Road

Thanks for posting that 1953 picture Viv! Fascinating to see Lloyds Bank on the left hand side of the road along with the now demolished shops. I remember the Post Office further back from this view but no memory of the rest. Not surprising really as I was only about 1 year old at this time...
  3. D

fish and chip shops

Was that down Chip Alley by any chance Pete?
  4. D

Golden Hillock Road School

Yes, he took us for woodwork in the first year in a room on the top floor of the 'New block'. Later years was with Mr Oddy in the separate woodwork/metalwork block. I take it that your moniker means your birth year? If so, you could have been in the same year as my brother Steve. I do have a...
  5. D

May 1968 - Class 5 outside the main entrance to the Senior School - Mr Simpkins (Deputy Head) on the left hand side & Mr Briscow (form Tutor) on the right hand side
  6. D

June 1964 - Class 1A The teacher was Mr Davies (Davis?) Picture taken outside the 'New' block entrance
  7. D

The school went comprehensive in September 1968. We used to watch the new buildings going up from the top floor of the 'New' block! As we were leaving the school was supposed to be entering a bright new future.
  8. D

A little bit before my time Viv, but I believe that was the teachers staff room window behind them where teachers used to spy on pupils in the play-ground! Dave
  9. D

Aston Villa history

At least I got your drift Rob :D Btw Charlie Aitken had an antiques shop in Acocks Green village for many years.
  10. D

Moor Street Station

Great pictures of Moor Street Station! It brings back memories! I used to travel into & out off Moor Street in the 1970's from Acocks Green station most nights of the week for light refreshments in Brum town centre. Journey time 10 minutes & trains were always dead on time. Last train back home...
  11. D

Warwick Road

That's a fine looking church on the left hand side, in the distance. I wonder why they replaced it with that modern monstrosity in janice's street view? Dave H
  12. D

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Must agree with you Jeanie. I remember nearly every street had a corner shop, which was originally built as a house. Even though my mother bought her weekly shop from the co-op I always had to run down to the corner shop to get the mint sauce, Bisto gravy or what ever she had suddenly run out of.
  13. D

It’s mikejees birthday

Seems I am a bit late but I hope you had a very happy birthday Mike. And can I give you a big thank you for all the work that you have put in for the forum. The maps that you have put up have opened up lots of information for my Family Tree (thanks for keeping me busy Mike :rolleyes:) Dave H
  14. D

birmingham 1969-73

Thanks for putting that map of Larches Street up Mike. My great grandmother, Lydia Mason lived and died at no. 98 Larchers Street on 3rd March 1952 (aged 78). She was living with her son William Mason after my great grandfather, also William Mason, had died on 24 March 1946 in 1 Western Road...
  15. D

Spring Hill Passage

That's what threw me with Mikes map. I knew the Masons lived about no.152. but when I saw Mikes map I started going deeper into my tree! The picture appears to be taken in the yard at the back of 152 & there is a little glimpse of the passage way to the right-hand side of my photograph. I don't...
Back