• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Dave89

1. D

Birmingham Cinemas

Hi Paul, I only visited once, and that was over 50 years ago, so sadly I can't remember much about the cinema except that it was very awkward to get to from where I was living at the time! Kind regards Dave
  2. D

Fountains.

Hi The Angel Fountain seen here in its original location. Kind regards Dave
  3. D

Moor Street Station

Hi, I thought the era when all the soldiers wore peaked caps went out well before WW2? Happy New Year. Kind regards Dave.
  4. D

Cobbled Streets Of Birmingham

Hi Nick, Many thanks for the info. My recollections were from the middle 60's to the early 70s when I worked at R. Whites just up the road. I remember getting an Xmas turkey from the management one Xmas, and it was just as slaughtered. One of the staff who lived locally took it to a local...
  5. D

Dentistry past and present in Brum

Hi TommoCo, Oh yes, I remember him very well, - he put me off going voluntarily to dentists for the rest of my life. Now I only go when the pain exceeds the fear. Kind regards Dave
  6. D

Cobbled Streets Of Birmingham

Hi, Back in the 1960's and early 70s I sometimes used the 96 bus which went down Hingeston Street, and I was struck by the fan shaped patterns which were in some areas of the cobbles which formed part of the street. This suggested that at the time when they were laid down the street must have...
  7. D

Hollingsworth Tobacconist

Hi, I worked in the city centre during the early 60's and once a month I visited Hollingsworth's and treated myself to a packet of Lucky Strike. Happy memories! Kind regards Dave
  8. D

Coronation Road Bordesley Green Birmingham.

Hi, I lived on the corner of Crown Road in the mid 60s, and I can't remember anything resembling a road there. Kind regards Dave
  9. D

Steam Locos

Hi, And one taken by me on the GWSR at Toddington in the early 2000's Kind regards Dave
  10. D

Saltley & Alum Rock

Hi. Just inside the gate to the right was a smallbore rifle range. This was still in use in the early 60's, and was used by a shooting club of which I was a member. The rangekeeper there was a Mr Flook ("Flookie"), and he lived at the big house.
  11. D

The Bulls Head Stechford

Hi, Yes, that ties in with my memory of it from when I lived in Stechford. I used to get off the 14 bus by the Bulls Head on my way home from work in the early 60s, and pop in for a quick one. Kind regards Dave
  12. D

The Bulls Head Stechford

Hi, I remember the Bulls Head from the 1950s, and into the early 60s. I think it was renamed rather than rebuilt after that. Kind regards Dave
  13. D

Webley Gunmakers - information requested

Hi, Does anyone remember the advertising display case for W & S at the entrance to Snow Hill Station in Colmore Row back in the 1950s which contained (dummy?) guns. Unbelievable today isn't it! Kind regards Dave
  14. D

Chelmsley Wood Pubs

Hi, There were old paths which linked between the Chester Road and the Roman temple which was as far as I know situated on or near Grimstock Hill Coleshill. We certainly found a few Roman coins and brooches on local footpaths and fields facing C.W. Areas 10 and 11. This was many decades ago...
  15. D

fish and chip shops

Hi Pete, Yes, very good, - in Timberley Lane opposite Tesco's wasn't it? We've got some pretty good ones over here in Scratby too , - in fact you could probably say we're a bit spoiled! Kind regards Dave
Back