• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Dave89

1. D

Fathers Shoe Repair shop

Hi 1960s to 1970s address 390 Green Lane Small Heath, so very local to his shop, - by 1985 at the Scribers Lane Hall Green address. Kind regards Dave G0ELJ
  2. D

THESE TRYING TIMES

Hi Alan, My memories of the bedding factory are from the 40s, 50s, and 60s, and it was always known as the Fordux, which I believe was taken over by Slumberland in the 1950s. I understand they had previously been customers. I'm a bit puzzled by the railway reference though. Although there was...
  3. D

THESE TRYING TIMES

Hi Penny, Nor can I ! I really must take the first opportunity when the lockdown ends. Big Gee's mention of the Zeppelin (the L48), reminded me that I still have a couple of small fragments of the L48's frame. There is a big piece of it in the entrance to St. Peter's church at Theberton...
  4. D

THESE TRYING TIMES

Hi Lady P, I have been through Yoxford many years ago, as I remember turning off the old A45 near there to pick up the A12 to go to Southwold. I must go back there when the lockdown is lifted, although I have done a virtual tour of the town, and was a bit disappointed at some of the changes...
  5. D

THESE TRYING TIMES

Hi Lady P, Alba is on Freesat channel 109, and Sky channel 169(for the rest of the UK other than Scotland) I've been right through the Freeview channels here, but I believe it's only available in Scotland. I'm glad you like East Anglia, I was born in Southwold in Suffolk, and lived there until...
  6. D

THESE TRYING TIMES

Hi Janice, Yes, our mangle was kept in the shed too, next to the copper boiler, and on wash day - always Mondays of course - the copper was connected to the cooker in the kitchen by a long flexible metal pipe with rubber ends to feed the gas. Of course there was no gas tap on the copper, so my...
  7. D

Hope & Anchor pub Edmund St

Hi, When I worked in Newhall St in the early 60s it was still referred to as 'Eli Fletcher's'. Kind regards Dave
  8. D

Worst car of the 1960's

Hi, I had 2 Viva HCs, and the first one FNP56J was a great car, although it did get through 3 gearboxes, and it suffered body rot at the end of its life. But it cost very little and I did my own repairs, so as I did over 100,000 miles in it I was not complaining. The second was a 1256cc...
  9. D

Artists Who Painted Birmingham Landscapes

Hi, I have not noticed the artist Robin Hazlewood RI mentioned on this thread. I have a picture of Yardley Church and the old School House by him which was of particular interest to me as I was married there (the Church, that is!) Quite a bargain really, at £2 from the Acorns shop in the...
  10. D

Steam Locos

Hi, I know nothing about the VOR Railway, but I have a Preservation Datafile book from 1993 which states that VOR have 3 locos - nos 7, 8 and 9 (1213), and that whilst 7 and 8 were built in 1923 at Swindon, 9 was built 1902 by Davies and Metcalfe at Romiley. This is the same info given in the...
  11. D

Stechford

Hi Pete, Am I remembering correctly that she lived in the block on the corner of Yardley Fields Road by Doctor Masters? Kind regards Dave
  12. D

Radio

Hi Pete, That Wessie brings back some memories, although I never had one. But I did have a load of AM10 Cambridges, one I converted to 2 metres FM, and another to a receiver for VHF airband - I think the rest were broken up for spares or sold. Incidentally, for anyone who likes Sailing By...
  13. D

Mom washing the doorstep

Hi, I remember that a good few years ago, you were responsible for clearing snow and ice away from the pavement outside your home. Kind regards Dave.
  14. D

King Edgar pub

Hi King Edgar on the pub sign. Kind regards Dave
  15. D

THESE TRYING TIMES

Hi. A couple of jokes of 'These trying times' which I trust no-one will see as anything but positive. A report from Germany said that stocks of Sausage and Cheese were running low, but ended with saying ' this is a Wurst Kase scenario'! A chap who had problems buying toilet rolls used lettuce...