• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Dave Riley

1. Dave Riley

Monument Road

Lyn, the picture in your post #45 is more likely to be the corner of Hyde Rd and Monument Road than Reservoir Road. Possibly even could be the corner of Oliver Road? I think the church, St. Johns, is too close for it to be Reservoir Road and I think Alston Street going off to the right would be...
  2. Dave Riley

Then & Now

I think they maybe "Bill Posting" advertisements on a traffic lights control box with a bucket of paste on the pavement. and Don't forget the old one about "Bill Posters will be prosecuted." That chap Bill must have spent a lot of time in Court!
  3. Dave Riley

No 12 BUS ROUTE

In case anyone was wondering what the article in the Meccano magazine was about here is the relevant pages......
  4. Dave Riley

Clocks

Lyn I think it is back at Kings Head junction Bearwood on the bus interchange.
  5. Dave Riley

Early Radio

Yes Dave, I have also spent many hours browsing the World Radio History site too. It is a true dedication these guys have who manage this site and credit must go to them for their time, effort and money they put in to it. Many hours I have spent looking at the electronics magazines and books...
  6. Dave Riley

Early Radio

I have posted this link to a excellent Radio History site containing a goldmine of information in a previous thread not exactly related to Radio and thought it may be a good idea to post it here as a reminder. Its really worth a visit, its more than just radio with fantastic content that also...
  7. Dave Riley

Dennison’s Birmingham's first light switch

Dennison's advertisement of December 1915.
  8. Dave Riley

Dennison’s Birmingham's first light switch

I came across this amusing however very dangerous set up in a old copy of Practical Mechanics Magazine, June 1937. Thank the Lord we now have modern Wiring Regulations in place. I am sure this is obvious, but please, don't try this at home!
  9. Dave Riley

Paternoster Lifts

Interesting, if anyone like me was wondering how they work take a look at this link. https://99percentinvisible.org/article/paternoster-lifts-cyclic-chain-elevators-no-buttons-doors-stops/
  10. Dave Riley

Ladywood Coal Merchant

I am a bit late noticing and replying to this thread Willey but I certainly do remember Mr Bradbury, he delivered coal to my granddad Joe Harris after he retired from the coal trade himself. I always remember when Mr. Bradbury delivered coal to my granddad, if I was about at the time Mr...
  11. Dave Riley

Childrens Toys From The 30s

On the subject of Meccano magazines I came across this website https://www.meccanoindex.co.uk/ There is loads of information regarding the magazine and also you can view and download past issues of the magazine from 1916 to 1981. Here is a direct link to the magazines themselves...
  12. Dave Riley

Bridge Street

I think it may be for the new Google maps for ants.:smug:
  13. Dave Riley

Televisions

Here is a photo of our television taken early in the 70's. We never got to see much television, mostly we had a view of dad's backside when he kept adjusting that aerial on the top! It must of been taken around Easter time, there is a couple of Easter eggs on the top, not much chance of them...
  14. Dave Riley

Definition of “Brummie”, “Astonian” etc

Here is a link to a little quiz to see how Black Country you are..... https://www.gotoquiz.com/how_black_country_am_yow_1
Back