• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by dav19390

1. D

Reynolds road, Handsworth

My best friend in the 60s was David Westwood, whose mother was Gillian. I can't remember his father's name but David had a younger brother, Peter. David was a commercial artist. When he married, he moved to another district. I had an Aunt and Uncle, surname Lawson, who ran the Grapes pub in...
  2. D

Printer

If no one else can give you any easier advice, one option would be to un-install the printer and then reinstall it. One of the support files may have been corrupted and needs to be mended. Click on Printer in Control Panel, right click on the icon for your printer and select Delete (or...
  3. D

Can anyone place this photo?

The photograph must pre-date the start of WWII because I can remember the Fox & Goose from when I was a small child immediately after the war. Even then there was a roundabout at the cross roads, and this is not shown in the picture. It looks as though the photograph was taken from some...
  4. D

Kindle Users

Yes, I use Calibre. It will allow you to find and purchase a book by any e-publisher in the world and will convert it to run in the format that your e-reader uses (including the Kindle and Kobo). I was looking for a book that was not on the Amazon list, used Calibre, found it on an...
  5. D

Brick paved street

A couple of years ago there was a similar thread on this forum, but not referring to this particular magazine article. Many people mentioned the rubber bricks that were used for the road serface in the Minories, the road spanned by the Lewis's "bridge".
  6. D

Left handed rifle

Slightly changing the subject, so excuse me please for that, my wife is left handed amd bemoans the gadgets that work well for right handed people but not lefties - such as, surprisingly to us righties, a serrated bread knife - hence we always have sliced bread. I thought she had finally...
  7. D

Cannot see gadgets on my desktop THEREFORE CANNOT OPEN THEM. AlsoBBC I player problem

Re: Cannot see gadgets on my desktop THEREFORE CANNOT OPEN THEM. AlsoBBC I player pro The simplest answer then, will be to do a System Restore as suggested earlier. You will lose the printer installation but if it restores your gadgets, you will know the reason for sure. You can then try the...
  8. D

Cannot see gadgets on my desktop THEREFORE CANNOT OPEN THEM. AlsoBBC I player problem

Re: Cannot see gadgets on my desktop THEREFORE CANNOT OPEN THEM. AlsoBBC I player pro I don't know why you have lost your gadgets, but here is how to restart them. Click on Start Button Click on All Programs CLick on Accessories Clicl on Windows Sidebar For more info on the sidebar /...
  9. D

Explorer Update nightmare.

If you have System Restore enabled and can find a Restore Point earlier than when your computer went wrong, it will put you back to the position you were in before you downloaded the update. You can then download Service Pack 2 - or 3 preferably - and then let the computer do the update again...
  10. D

Hairdressing & barbering

My grandfather also used a cut throat razor well into the 1950's but I only remember my father using a safety razor. I remember that he used to re-use his safety razor blades by resharpening them. He would take the blade out of the razor and rub it along a thick piece of bright red glass that...
  11. D

Hardware Shops

My father owned a shop like that in the 1950's on Alum Rock Road, opposite the Capitol Cinema. He had a huge stock of bits and pieces and an enormous shed at the rear that was just stacked with all the knickknacks that old-fashioned ironmongers kept in those days. The shed was about 40 feet...
  12. D

Printer Ink

You can often tell the quality of printer inks by printing a black and white text document onto good quality paper speecifically made for inkjet printers. If you look at the text under a magnifying glass, the edges of the letters should be crisp and clear, not smudged by the ink "creeping"...
  13. D

Saltley Secondary School

I attended Saltley Grammar School in the early-mid 1950's and can confirm that the photographs are of that school, in Belchers Lane. I did not know that one of the quadrangles was hit by a WW2 bomb - I started there in 1950 and there was no sign of it then, although some of the classrooms were...
  14. D

Printer Ink

Have a look at 7dayshop.com. I use them regularly for Epson compatible cartridges and find them cheap, but with good quality.
  15. D

City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra

I first went to see the CBSO in the late 1950's and the principal conductor was Rudolph Shwarz - so he must have been succeeded by Hugo Rignold - I never realized that "Jennifer" (as she was always known by on Children's TV) was his daughter.
Back