• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Dashers

1. D

Pheasey Estate

I was born in Hillingford Avenue and went to school at Collingwood Drive School that is now some community type building. I remember well how the main hall still has the 'projector' room above the doors and was told that is where the US Solidiers watched their films. As far as I know it is still...
  2. D

City Hospital Lodge Road

any chance of the image being reposted? Thanks Paul
  3. D

Harvey (18th/19th century)

Hi Mark I just found your post whilst searching for 'Harvey Sword Birmingham', I know it 2 years late but wondered if you still visited this forum. My Gt GT GT Grandfather was William Harvey and on his daughters (Ellen Harvey) Marriage Certificate of 1840 he was listed as 'Sword Cutler', I'm...
  4. D

Sayings, legends and customs.

My dad used to say we were as "mad as a Bob 'Owller' when we were kids running around. (North Birmingham)
  5. D

Oscott Colleges (old Oscott And New Oscott)

A little digging on google tells me it is now the Maryvale Institute on Old Oscott Hill, near to Cardinal Wiseman's school / Church Thanks for the info Mike, never realised the history behind that place
  6. D

I see, in which case St Mary's had yet to be built in 1834. So any idea what the Oscott College marked on the map is?
  7. D

Looking at the map that was posted on another thread here I noticed that Oscott College wasn't where I thought it would be. I live on the Chester Road close to where Gibbets Hill is marked on the map and all other landmarks seem to relate (Beggars Bush, railway line etc) but Oscott College...
  8. D

Looking for Graves in Warstone Lane Cemetery - Rolfe

Great info Brian, thanks very much
  9. D

Thanks Wendy, I don't have a death certificate (yet) as I only recently found out they existed. The Burial Record that I have comes from the "Birmingham and Midland Society for Genealogy and Heraldry" from their "Parish Records Collection - burial" which is where I found the cemetery name and...
  10. D

Looking to locate the graves of two sisters: Lydia ROLFE (1846 - 1854) - Register No. 3329 Catherine ROLFE (1850 - 1854) - Register No. 3330 Any help appreciated
  11. D

Warstone Lane Cemetery

Thanks for the info, will do.
  12. D

Warstone Lane Cemetery

I recently found out that two of my Gt Aunts were buried in Warstone Lane cemetery in 1856, both died youg and it seems at the same time, aged around 8 and 5. I don't think I have ever visited a cemetery and have no idea of the etiquete or whether or not you can just walk in and look around (to...
  13. D

Ancestry or findmypast

I currently use both but will be letting my FMP subscription run out this year. I find that FMP is much better at finding stuff and have a more 'logical' search engine. I can usually find things on FMP must easier than on Ancestry. The problem is that FMP only 'really' covers UK and I have a lot...
  14. D

Contact with another researcher via Ancestry

Interested to read the last too posts, I didn't realise that people felt like that. IMHO, history should be readily accessable and if you don't want it used then don't post it, which you have correctly done by making it private. If someone wants a tree with a gazillion people on it then good...
  15. D

City Centre Photographs

I'm not quite old enough to remember buses in the 50s, but I think I remember that my Nan called Kingstanding Circle "The 29", meaning that's where it terminated. Or maybe it was "The 28"
Back