• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Darby

1. Darby

duke of cornwall light infantry

It's called a Swagger Stick used to denote authority and as the name suggests when tucked under the left arm enables one to swagger, leaving the right arm free to salute. If it's longer and opens up it is a Pace Stick, still used today by Drill Sargent's to pace out the parade.
  2. Darby

General Service Medals

Barrie, My apologies, I have just phoned the MOD Medals Office who confirmed that they are indeed pure silver.
  3. Darby

General Service Medals

Barrie, are you sure, my original GSM is certainly not silver and when you consider the number that have been issued over the years it would have cost the authorities millions.
  4. Darby

Lucas Shaftmoor Lane Branch Works 4

Strange how many Brummies including myself refer to it as Shaftsmoor Lane when in fact it is Shaftmoor, easier to pronounce I suppose.
  5. Darby

Motor Torpedo Boats + RAF Rescue Boats

Two RAF Air Sea Rescue Boats in retirement, taken at Woodbridge this year.
  6. Darby

HMS Birmingham - Tompion

Here is a photo of said Tompions, HMS Glasgow 1956, her last commission.
  7. Darby

HMS Birmingham - Tompion

Chocks, It may be me but I have my doubts about this Tompion, ie what are the three holes for, as far as I can remember they pushed into the barrel and I don't remember them being brass but it was a long time ago and as I say it may be me but if anyone was going to buy one they would be wise...
  8. Darby

2nd Worcesters 1914

I have a 1914-15 Star for 15593 Percy Richard Edkins of 10th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment KIA 30th July 1916, if there are any relatives still alive they would be most welcome to it.
  9. Darby

2nd Worcesters 1914

My Gt Grandfather Alfred Patrick Poulston was killed at Gheluvelt 31st October 1914 serving in 1st Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment.
  10. Darby

Pingat Jasa Malaysia

Dave M, I have had mine for a while now, there were presentations all over the country, mine was at Sorbraon Barracks in Lincoln presented by the Military Attach from the Malaysian High Commission and a very nice affair it was. Not really sure but I think there is a time limit for claiming...
  11. Darby

Balsall Heath Park - The 'little Park'

I remember The Little Park very well, does anyone remember what we called the clay hills it was a mound of clay that was dug out to make a reservoir for fire fighting during the war. Another memory is the day they fitted the swings and roundabouts in the park, when it was time to close the...
  12. Darby

Dennis Road Secondary Modern Boys School

Fred, Yes you are right, it was while we were there that Gil Merrick paid us a visit and one of the kids called him Gil, only to be told Mr Merrick to you son, to this day I still think it was a strange thing to say to a kid that probably idolised him. The other playing fields we sometimes...
  13. Darby

H.M.S Forth

Now I'm confused, the third photo clearly shows Boats tied up alongside.
  14. Darby

H.M.S Forth

This is the WW1 HMS Forth, the next Forth was also a Submarine Depot Ship which spent many years moored in Msida Creek Malta.
  15. Darby

Ladypool Road.

Richard's other shop at the top ( posh ) end of Ladypool Road, second on the right.
Back