• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by danimac

1. D

Brummie sayings & language

Hello me Duck is ( I think) Nottinghamshire area also Nuneaton
  2. D

I was in a Local pub last night and watched as a young who had been served a Half ( lager I think) but she then poured some into a whisky glass, this reminded me of when my Mom had an occasional drink ( in the Dolphin: Acocks Green) she used to have a"Stick" of beer as in a glass capable of...
  3. D

Lucas Shaftmoor Lane Branch Works 3

Ann, Thanks anyway, hope you manage to get hold of your real Cousin Dannimac. Best wishes Danny
  4. D

Ann, Thats a shame, it would have been nice to have a cousin named Ann living in Australia, can I adopt you??????????. I am quite clean ( baff twice a year) have all my own teeth ( just finshed paying for them) and at parties its safe to leave me sitting in the corner with my earing aids...
  5. D

Hartfield Crescent Ninestiles School

I went to Hartfield Crescent Sec Mod between 1957-60 remember Mr Cook was Headmaster, Mr Sanders Deputy with Miss Wood in charge of girls (it was definately mixed them days) Teachers included Mr Cockerel who married Miss Balmforth ( I think that was her name) Mr Grundy , Mr Chew,Mr Quinney...
  6. D

Hope this is ok have couple of photos of my Mom and friends taken sometme in the 60s at Shaftmor Lane. I have one more of her with the Lucas Ladies Darts Team' cheers Danny Danny
  7. D

Ann, To be quite honest I don't know. My Mom ( Kathleen Ellis formally McDonnell maiden name Hanks) was one of twelve children most of whom survide childhood and some including my Mom (9) had large families and untill recently only met up at funerals. We then had a get together of about 30...
  8. D

Hi, I have a couple of photo's of my Mom when she worked at Lucas in Shaftmoor Lane back in the 60s, one is of her and her fellow ladies in the darts team and a second of her at a presentation ( I presume her retirement). I'd like to put them on this site but want to make sure they go where...
  9. D

Been having a good read through this thread and it has raised many a smile, favourite so far is Kuk Kuks still use today to my kids and g/kids amusement. Anybody remember the following: Hurt yourself and your Mom would say " It'll be a Pigs Foot in the morning" Something unlikely: Never in the...
  10. D

Groups We Have Seen Live

Not too many live acts Screaming Lord Sutch Freddie and The Dreamers Both above at Butlins Gene Pitney Rod Stewart Dire Straights (Twice - once was just Mark Knopfler) Brotherhood of Man Would love to have seen The Beatles Would like to see: Paul Macartney David Bowie. Wife has seen...
  11. D

Balsall Heath.

Hi, I live just of Mary Street and can confirm that The Eagle is now officially called Snackers, Coach and Horses is closed its is rumoured the the "Missus" stabbed the Host on Christmas day a couple of years ago, never head any more so I can only say Rumour. Nice area. I love it. Danimac
  12. D

Phillips

Hi Brummiegal, My wifes Fathers name was George Arthur, his Fathers name was Charles Henry Phillips and appropiately enough was born in Charles Henry St here in Birmingham. Danny :cool:
  13. D

Thomas Hanks

Hi John and everyone trying to help ( John is my Cousin) Lily Maude Tustin is our Grand mother married to Thomas Patrick Hanks. Just found this particular item. Good luck danimac
  14. D

Phillips

Hi, My wifes maiden name was Phillips ( Barbara) her father was George Arthur and I also have info somewher of his Father but not immediately to hand. :cool: danimac
  15. D

Giblin or Gibling family..

Hi, I cannot confirm this, but I do know that my cousin Thomas Giblin ( 1935-2008), son of Thomas Giblin (1909-1954) and Agnes nee Hanks( 1907-2002) died last year. I wiil attempt to contact other members of Thomas's family ( siblings) who may be able to help. Danimac
Back