• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Crinkmeister

1. C

Acme Whistles

My dad used to work at Hudsons in the 70's and 80's. Glad they are still in business!
  2. C

Swimming Lessons

We walked to Grove Lane baths from Rookery Road school for our swimming lessons once a week. Unfortunately, our teachers were not swimming instructors, so didn't really have much idea. I hated the water and learnt nothing in those lessons. It seemed that I was always last to get changed before...
  3. C

The Uplands Handsworth

I worked there one summer holiday - in the "less smart" bar at the back - flippin' hard work! No fancy tills to work out the totals in them days! Had to do it all in your head!
  4. C

Hanson family of birmingham

Hi Christina, ginger, I'm an Anson with a dropped H! Just looking into this side of my family now. I currently have a problem with my Hannah Hansons - there are too many of them! My Hannah was born around 1822 and had parents Thomas and Hannah. I think this is a different line of Hansons to...
  5. C

Johnson Maisie

OK - so I can confirm that birth certificate shows dob 2nd January 1890, Arthur as the father and his occupation is coachman (not domestic). Mother is Mary Kezia Johnson formerly Baggott. So I think this is correct. Now I'm chasing grandad's side!
  6. C

Doctors

Dr deReybekill (not sure if I spelt that right) in Grove Lane was our doctor. I remember the funny green chairs in the waiting room and waiting for the buzzer to go which invited the next victim, I mean patient, to cross the hallway and enter the surgery. He was a nice old chap and came out to...
  7. C

Johnson Maisie

Well done! They did have some big families back then didn't they?!
  8. C

Johnson Maisie

Re: Maisie Johnson Crikey!! However did you work that out?
  9. C

Johnson Maisie

Re: Maisie Johnson Wow! You had some tricky ones!! I'll see if the birth certificate fits the bill and I'll update this thread. Thanks for your help.
  10. C

Johnson Maisie

Re: Maisie Johnson Thanks very much for your help Bojalu! I eventually found the same parents as you did, so this seems to be the only solution. I also appreciate the comment made by you and Alberta that Mary could have called herself Maisie to avoid confusion with her mother. I deliberately...
  11. C

Johnson Maisie

Re: Maisie Johnson I found one of the witnesses on a 1911 census entry - doesn't help though. The other one - I can't find, so I'm assuming she married between 1911 and 1919.
  12. C

Johnson Maisie

Re: Maisie Johnson She will only appear on electoral register after she married because of her age. I think I have the right family - perhaps I should try to see what happened to the Mary Johnson who I believe called herself Maisie. If I can't find her, it adds weight to my belief, but maybe...
  13. C

Johnson Maisie

Re: Maisie Johnson Yes Bojalu, that's her. I have the death cert in front of me.
  14. C

Johnson Maisie

Re: Maisie Johnson Hi Bojalu, Maisie was 27 in 1919. Three years too young!!
  15. C

Johnson Maisie

Re: Maisie Johnson Yes MWS. 99 Ash Road is Maisies address at time of marriage (1919). I have checked electoral rolls after marriage - only Maisie and Clifford shown. I'm sure she was registered at birth by a different name, but how to prove it?!
Back