• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by crimble

1. C

Marston Green Hospital

Your girlfriend at the time, but hey it was a long time ago ! Happy New Year Mark.
  2. C

Marston Green Hospital

Hello Mark, Well what a lovely surprise ! Guess who searched with you and took your photo very proudly pointing out your Dad`s initials on the plaque? We were so excited to find the plaques and his initials. So pleased that you have found this posting and that it`s made your day. Sadly I do...
  3. C

Summer Lane

Hello there Astoness, forgive me if post not in the right place but have only just found out that you have been poorly. I was so pleased to see your post 8 minutes ago. !!! It`s good to know that you have returned and are fit enough to supply us with the most wonderful photos. Thank you and...
  4. C

St Benedict's Road School Small Heath

St Benedicts Road School. The larger of the two must have been taken in 1956 as it has identical setting to second photo in #1 post. I think the smaller one was taken a year earlier but not sure.
  5. C

The cane at school

I never had the cane, but graphically remember seeing 3 boys caned. I was 11 years old , first year of secondary school, the school hall had a stage, 1st years were right at the front below the stage. It was the time of the Cuban missile crisis, A special assembly was called - we thought it was...
  6. C

The space shuttle

We remember seeing the shuttle fly over. We were living on edge of the new Stoneydelph estate and looking towards A5 Wilnecote we could just make it out, but we can say we saw it !!!
  7. C

New Street City Centre Birmingham

What an interesting thread. My great, great grandparents address on the 1851 census was Post Office Yard, New Street. 1861 they were 2 Court, New Street, 1871 Little Fire Station Yard, Cannon Street. The images have stimulated my imagination as to where and how they carried out their...
  8. C

BSA Factory 1940s Onwards

This is a photo of my Mom and her workmates at the B.S.A. On the reverse she had written B.S.A. Armoury Road 1945. My Auntie is the lady with glasses sat at the back. My Mom is the lady with the lovely smile to the right of to her. The only names Mom could remember were Len, Mary Gaffrey...
  9. C

Bromford Racecourse

I remember playing schools hockey in the middle of Bromford racecourse. I had to get from Kingshurst to Bromford. I walked a mile to the no 14 bus and then caught the 11 bus at Stetchford. I arrived late to be told off by the teacher !! We starting playing and the mist came down and we couldn`t...
  10. C

St Margaret's Church Ward End

Re: ST Margarets Hello Wendy, I`ve found the photo of my parents wedding at St. Margaret`s Church and I thought that you would enjoy the location and fashions.
  11. C

Lewis's Department Store

I remember the children`s hair dept and sitting on the animals. The lady would "singe" my hair with a lighted taper ! never understood why, just terrified the life out of me ! The roof garden, was it only open for a short time? because I only remember going the odd time. Mom and myself were in...
  12. C

Hop-picking

# 1 I really enjoyed your tale of hop picking. What wonderful memories of hard times and laughter.
  13. C

Let Me Take You To my childhood Of Old…[/

Re: Let Me Take You To my childhood Of Old*‚*…[/ oh that was so lovely.
  14. C

Postie's Move

As a newbie I would like to add my best wishes to you and take this opportunity to say an ENORMOUS THANK YOU to all of you who run this remarkable site. You are making the archive for our future generations. You are a very professional and friendly team and evidently enjoy what you do despite a...
  15. C

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

Hi there I thought that you would like to know that our local radio station - ( Wave 105 it serves the south coast almost as far as the M4 and covers Isle of Wight, Hampshire, etc ) on the breakfast show the presenters were raving on how brilliant Peaky Blinders had been and all agreed that they...
Back