• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by craiguito

1. craiguito

Death notification

Hi Janice, thanks for the reply. It was ww1 Regards Craig
  2. craiguito

Death notification

Hello, I'd be very grateful for any information for some research I'm doing. On average, if a soldier was killed, in my ancestor's case of Spanish flu, in Africa, does anyone know roughly how long it would take for the relatives back in the UK to be informed? Many thanks in advance, Craig
  3. craiguito

Beaufort Rd, working boys' home?

Thanks for the info - never thought of checking Kelly's
  4. craiguito

Beaufort Rd, working boys' home?

In 1911, my great grandad Joseph Rosenberg was resident at 55 Beaufort Rd; the other residents were predominently 16/17-year old boys, and judging by their surnames, also Jewish. The head of the household was Arthur Lewis and his wife Rachel's occupation was 'Matron of Working Boys' Home'. What...
  5. craiguito

18 highcroft road

This is a very interesting thread - my great great aunt, Emily Litherland died there too in 1948 (she'd previously been a resident at Calthorpe Nursing home 1945 Highbury Hall 1947 : it became a home for elderly women in 1932). As yet I don't know what Emily died of - she's one of the...
  6. craiguito

World War 2 Service Records

Hi Carolann, I recently received my grandad's WW2 records and it makes for fascinating reading. It cost me £30, and takes 9 months. They do send you a letter to let you know this in case you don't wish to proceed, but it was well worth the wait. Craig
  7. craiguito

The beehive pub

Hello Margaret - I have just read this thread - was your g g grandfather Isaac Axhorn? If so we have a connection, he was my g g grandfather too. Craig
  8. craiguito

WW2 Terminology

Thanks for the replies. I have another - RALR. My grandfather was awarded compassionate leave with RALR. I've tried googling it but can't seem to find anything.
  9. craiguito

WW2 Terminology

I have recently acquired my grandad's army service records 1929-1945. I'm still slowly trawling my way through - not helped by certain accronyms and abbreviations. Can anyone tell me what "Struck of Strength" means, also TOS, which I presume is a related accronym? Many thanks in advance. Craig
  10. craiguito

Birmingham Working Boys Homes

I believe my great grandfather Joseph Rosenberg attended a working boys' home in Edgbaston, Beaufort Road, where he learnt to be an engraver. I'd be very grateful for any information on this establishment. Many thanks Craig
  11. craiguito

Belle Vue, Parton St, Hockley

Thanks!
  12. craiguito

Ah! that makes sense! Thanks!
  13. craiguito

According to the 1911 census, my great great aunt Emily Litherland worked as a servant for Emily Hamilton Phillips, address Belle Vue, Parton Rd, Hockley. I can't find this on any maps or searches. Does anyone have any ideas where it was? Thanks in advance Craig
  14. craiguito

According to the 1911 census, my great great aunt Emily Litherland worked as a servant for Emily Hamilton Phillips, address Belle Vue, Parton Rd, Hockley. I can't find this on any maps or searches. Does anyone have any ideas where it was? Thanks in advance Craig
  15. craiguito

Highbury Hall

Thanks for that, Colin. Makes sense now! Craig
Back