• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by cookecutter

1. C

Davies, Helen (Ellen or Nell): Schoolteacher in Birmingham area early 1900's

Just wanted to update you on my search for Helen Davies. The marriage and death records that Shera mentioned were correct. Helen and her husband had three children so I've been searching on Ancestry for possible marriages and offspring for them. An Ancestry member who had married into the...
  2. C

Thanks, Shera. That looks like a great possibility. The difference in the first name is confusing, but the dates and places seem to fit. This forum has been such a help in the short time since I joined. Keep up the good work. cookecutter
  3. C

mikejee: Actually, Jane Davies was the mother of the twins, who were born in Birmingham in 1901. Jane's youngest sister, Helen Davies, still lived at home with their widowed mother in Five Ways, Haseley in 1911. They helped raise the boys while Jane worked at an estate in Yorkshire, some...
  4. C

My grandfather and his twin brother were born to an unwed mother, Jane Davies, in 1901 in Birmingham. They spent their early childhood with their widowed grandmother and her youngest daughter, Helen, whom they affectionately called "Aunt Nell". The 1911 census shows Helen as a schoolteacher...
  5. C

Dr. Berlyn in 1900's Birmingham

Hi Janice: It has only been in the past decade or so that much has come to light about the British Home Children, thanks to some courageous and dedicated people. Approximately 11% of Canadians today are descended from Home Children, although many of the child emigrants were sent to Australia...
  6. C

Hi Janice: I stand corrected, once again. A lot of the handwriting on census forms has very different letter formation than I am used to, and when it comes to tracing more distant ancestors in Wales, the place names are all "Greek" to me. That's why forums such as this are so helpful--they...
  7. C

carolina: Thanks for the spelling correction. Should be helpful for future reference. cookecutter
  8. C

Hello Astoness: Sorry for the omission--it was late last night when I posted. My great-grandmother was Jane Davies, eldest daughter of William and Jane (Reese) Davies of Grove Park, Budbrooke. Sometime after the birth of her sons, Edward and Albert Davies, Jane dropped the "e" from their...
  9. C

Birmingham Law Firms in 1901

Thank you, NORTHFIELD. That explains a lot of seeming discrepancies. Will keep that in mind for future reference. Cookecutter.
  10. C

Thank you, pjmburns. Still trying to navigate my way around the Ancestry site to search for specific record collections. I appreciate your comment. Cookecutter.
  11. C

When my great-grandmother applied to have her 11-year-old twin boys admitted to Middlemore Home in 1912, the information she gave made reference to "Dr. and Mrs. Berlyn", if I am reading the handwriting correctly. The application stated that these people knew "the whole story" and had assisted...
  12. C

Hi Janice: Thank you for your comments. Not being familiar with England, I hadn't realized that Birmingham was considered separately from the rest of Warwickshire. Yes, I do have those two census records and I've received copies of the pertinent Middlemore records from the Library and Archives...
  13. C

Thank you for the information. Very interesting that Thomas Ryland was involved with a Boys' Home. Being from Canada puts me at a disadvantage when it comes to understanding the various cultural and social practices in England a century ago. Another possibility would be if there was a...
  14. C

My great-grandmother, Jane Davies, was not married when she gave birth to twin boys in Birmingham in 1901. Although her widowed mother and younger sister helped care for the boys while Jane was working, that arrangement ended as the grandmother became more feeble. Jane was advised to place the...
Back