• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by coalman

1. C

spitfire

I am sure there was a plaque at the original entrance which was unveiled by Alex Henshaw back in the 1990's which was then moved into the factory when the entrance was updated, as I was there watching the spitfire flyover the factory which itself was built there in 1944. So is it the same plaque...
  2. C

spitfire

Hello, Pleased to attach a photo of an original Modification plate which you would find on most of the sub assemblies of the Spitfire built at Castle Bromwich, such as the fuselage ( one on the firewall and one in the cockpit), wings, flaps, tail unit and tail planes, this particular one is...
  3. C

spitfire

Hello Eddie, Yes Duxford is a fantastic place to visit especially as it was the first RAF station to have the Spitfire with 19squadron in 1938 and still has them flying from there, however no Mk1 spitfire was ever built in Birmingham, all Mk1's were built in Southampton, the first Spitfire...
  4. C

Fawke/Fawkes

Hello, Many thanks for replying and hopefully I will be able to help you with a very small potted family history. Your father was one of 7 children of Harry and Ann Fawke of Studley Street, sadly 3 did not survive early childhood and the last surviving member John( your Uncle) passed away in...
  5. C

Spitfire project

Hello Anvil Many thanks for your reply, I am aware of the Pembroke project and have tried many times over the years to contact them via their email address on their website also via mutual persons however nothing has ever come about from either of these methods. Again many thanks for your...
  6. C

Spitfire project

Hello everyone I thought I would put this on a separate thread for ease. I live in the Birmingham area and have been slowly rebuilding a spitfire using both original and newly manufactured parts, sadly it will not fly but I am hoping that one day it will go on display for all to see and sit...
  7. C

Smethwick Spitfire

Hi Can you PM please with your email addy so I can send you a copy of the photograph
  8. C

spitfire

I am actually rebuilding a Spitfire ( albeit very slowly )so photographs showing production can be very useful for my project. Anybody who has found any original photographs, manuals and even any original bolts/nuts/parts etc then please get in touch. Regards John
  9. C

Fawke/Fawkes

Hello Doris Thank you for replying and its very good to hear from you, have sent you a private message. Regards John
  10. C

the gate..sparkbrook

Hi lyn many thanks...would there be any chance of a copy of this photograph for my family file?..the first of the Fawke family arrived in studley street when it was originly named victoria street in the 1890's and the last of the Fawkes left studley street in the mid 60's...maybe this is why I...
  11. C

the gate..sparkbrook

Hi would love to know the date of when the photograph was taken..as all my family came and lived in studley street...they was the Fawke coal merchants so maybe some of them are in the photo... John
  12. C

Fawke/Fawkes

Hi to all many thanks for replying to my thread. To leonard job Your name of Fowkes may in the past have been Fawkes or indeed Faulkes as so many of todays names are related in some way..the way they are pronounced are the same so may well have been a result of some educated scholar merely...
  13. C

The Spitfire

Hi Cannot tell you anything about the Kinver production site but can tell you that if any Merlin engine production ever took place at Castle Bromwich it went un documented.The CBAF plant was set up solely for the production of aircraft,namely the Spitfire then later on the Lancaster,the...
  14. C

Balsall Heath.

Phil Have been trying to contact you through the instant messaging,me thinks its not working or I am doing it wrong as per usual lol. Regards John
  15. C

Lucas Transport

Jackie, Just been having another looking at FR5 photograph where I wold you the man on the extreme front right was my dad, I am sure the guy in the white coat in the front was called Brian Redmond.
Back