• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Chunky AC

1. Chunky AC

computer help

Richard, Yes I am sure your right, but we need the option to choose for ourselves. FF plus DDG, works for me, NOT be told what cookies are being used with no choice. Sharing our information with the partners is WRONG.
  2. Chunky AC

3RD CAR PARK TO BE DEMOLISHED

We use to have regular trips to Birmingham. Old shopping habits die hard. But the city centre is now a disaster area as far as we are concerned, even trips to the jewellery quarter have now been stopped. For shopping areas to be successful they have to have quick free and convenient parking...
  3. Chunky AC

THE WINTERS OF 47 AND 63

Great picture with lots of atmosphere , in the years before long trousers I used to hate getting “Chaps on my legs”. Sore fingers and thumbs were cured with “Melrose,“ It’s still available today but unfortunately no longer. 1/3d that’s one shilling and three pence.
  4. Chunky AC

THE WINTERS OF 47 AND 63

My earliest memories were of the snow, in 1947, and dad chasing me around the kitchen table, all wrapped up in our coats and scarfs. Mom was in hospital following the birth of my younger brother. Dad did not light the coal fire he was trying to preserve the stock we had for when mom came home...
  5. Chunky AC

computer help

We live in a village in South Yorkshire, three houses from the end of the copper cable and 800 yards from the green BT box. We receive between 4 and 5 mbps. As I understand it, if we converted to fibre at considerable increased monthly cost our line would be converted to fibre into the green...
  6. Chunky AC

computer help

7. Chunky AC

Help identifying where in Birmingham

I have found a WH Taylor, resident at 16-20 Hartford Street, they were resident and registered there from 1911 to 1931. They describe their business as fine metal sculpture, (Metal Stampers,) looking on Google earth Harford Street has undergone a lot of redevelopment. Non of the visible windows...
  8. Chunky AC

Windows 10

I agree Mac computers are expensiv, BUT well worth the expense. I have 10 year old MacBook Pro, cost £1200, 10 years ago. Running OS which is regularly updated overnight occasionally free of charge, virtually virus free. Love it. Still have a windows tower computer still running Windows 7. Old...
  9. Chunky AC

In the garden 2022

Hi Viv, we appear to have opened a can of worms with the suggestion of using Washing up liquid. As an alternative to washing up liquid we could use green soft soap. Not sure where it would be purchased from now, it was always available from good chemists. For that last few weeks I have been...
  10. Chunky AC

The English Language.

One thing that I find offensive to the English language. Is the continual reference to “cool.” If it is cold, it can be said to be ” cool” if it’s ”Nice, or pleasant, say so! Rather than saying it’s “cool,” I am continually correcting my teenage grand children. AC.
  11. Chunky AC

In the garden 2022

Was it the Unicorn????
  12. Chunky AC

Lawrence St Gosta Green

Hello, I agree it’s Ryder Street, round the corner from where my Gran lived in Gem Street. Chunky AC
  13. Chunky AC

Gone out of fashion

Don’t forget “Silvercross,” prams, We had them as kids and our son had one in the 1970’s they were made in Leed.
Back