• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Christine

1. C

Samuel Groves Factory

Enjoyed reading reminiscences of the past few years of working at Samuel Groves - I have been doing a lot of research into the company and the family connections prior to 1917 when Samuel Groves and Co Ltd was created. (Not because of a family connection but in relation to their connection to...
  2. C

Robert Normansell Limited Exeter Street

Many thanks for the replies (Dek it probably is the Duddeston one - it was listed as Aston Cross in one directory and I hadnt checked any maps - thanks). Mikejee - thanks so much for those Kellys entries - I had some of them but the extra ones you supplied fill in a few more details...
  3. C

Robert Normansell Limited Exeter Street

I wonder if anyone recalls anything at all about a business/shop in Exeter Street (earlier Exeter Place) from circa 1912 until 1977 called Robert Normansell. The company were Art Metal workers and made hearth ware as well as reproduction armour, working in brass and pewter. Robert himself...
  4. C

What has happened to our great statues ?

I have been browsing the different postings on Statues in Birmingham because I wanted to see what had happened to a particular statue which we liked and photographed on a visit in 1993 but which had disappeared by a later visit and also more about a new statue we photographed in 2007. Very...
  5. C

Birmingham Trams

Don't mind at all Peter - I have done some work on the original (only 3x2 inches) as the indentations from the writing on the back comes through. I will try and work on the original and if successful post a larger scan. Christine
  6. C

Erdington History

Jennyann - fantastic - thanks - have now discovered you are absolutely right. I do have a 'old' Churches places of Birmingham website but nothing appeared to fit the bill appeared on that. Checked my old 1902 map and found one on the corner of Gravelly Hill and Kingsbury Road in which the...
  7. C

Birmingham Trams

Thanks Ray and Dek Thanks for those details - that makes sense of what my father in law wrote on the back of the photo. It is not the best quality photo but if anyone wants to see it enlarged it is actually on my website under Gravelly Hill and Erdington - more of Erdington and surrounds...
  8. C

Birmingham Trams

Thanks very much for that Ray - are the dates you give the actual date the service started - if so that would be wonderful to actually put a date to the photo? Christine
  9. C

Birmingham Trams

I wonder if anyone has any idea when trams started running on Tyburn Road - we have a photo of the first tram and would like to be able to date it? Christine
  10. C

Erdington History

Thanks for that JennyAnn although I had actually looked at that particular section previously (fantastic site - I have Bills site listed as one of my 'other links' on my website and now he has listed my website ) but I am trying to find out slightly more accurate dating - one because I wanted...
  11. C

Erdington History

I wonder if I could ask a question - I have searched high and low but cannot find the answer to when exactly Tyburn Road was put through off Gravelly Hill - anyone any information please? Christine
  12. C

Erdington History

Robert - Have just realised that I made an error with the dating of the section of the map I sent - it is actually 1913 (see attached corrected copy) - have also attached a copy which shows the last two houses in The Drive and this map is of 1902. If you wanted to obtain full copies of these old...
  13. C

Erdington History

Robert a bit more information for your quest. Surnames of the eight houses in The Drive Hunton Hill circa 1911 1 Read 2 Smith 3 Read 4 Madeley 5 Sharp 6 Holland 7 Uninhabited 8 Perry Hope they help - Christine
  14. C

Erdington History

Hallo Thylacene ( what an appropriate non de plume for someone living in Tasmania! ) Glad you enjoyed my Father in laws jottings and we are happy to allow you to quote from his reminiscences about the Mayners - I can send you a plain typed copy if you wish. With your interest in public...
Back