• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Christine in Herts

1. C

Soho Road Handsworth

I haven't been on this forum for a while, but - in case it's of interest to you - Leonard BENNETT, s/o George BENNETT & Hannah née BOOTH was born 6 Mar 1887 at "14 Ashleigh Pl, Baker St, Handsworth" - according to his birth cert. There's a corresponding (private) baptism record for St James's...
  2. C

St James's Church, Handsworth

I've just spotted a baptism (at St James's Church, Handsworth) in the LDS transcription (batch C01173-3) and which I think could be that of my paternal grandfather. Is there any easy way to get hold of an image of the relevant record?... or do I actually have to go and do something about it...
  3. C

MARKS - Sherlock St, Birmingham (from Germany)

Have just realised - (Julia) Alice MARKS, was almost certainly named for her father's late younger sister (Julia Alice MARKS) who had died, aged only 15, in 1885. And teh Old Bailey Wiki entry is my handiwork - I'd forgotten about that! Christine
  4. C

Clynt - I've sent you a preliminary reply by PM, but here's a reply to your tree question... Elizabeth COHEN was (as far as I can tell) the fifth of six children of Moses "Morris" Joseph COHEN and Isabella Jacobs JONES. Moses "Morris" Joseph COHEN was (as far as I can tell) the fourth of seven...
  5. C

Thorne

If you're still after this area of info - none of this has a father in it, I'm afraid, but I reckon that he's here ~ in 1861: RG9/2164 fo 22 p 38 in 1871: RG10/3151 fo 22 p 37 There's a William THORN of the right age in 1881: RG11/3027 fo 15 p 21, but he's a pearl button maker If his...
  6. C

BENNETT - Aston, Tipton, Handsworth, Ladywood

Posting under WARR, I am reminded: Leonard's wife, (Roma) Alice, was a soprano of some quality, and also wrote children's stories (probably under her married surname, BENNETT). I'd love to find traces of either of those activities. Christine
  7. C

WARR - Coleshill, Aston, Kings Norton

Thank you, Pomgolian. That is, indeed the family. I've managed to trace them through the censuses to 1911, and I've even found the Coleshill Congregational Church Minute Book entries which include references to Jason and his family. I've also made contact with one or two others from nearby...
  8. C

Birmingham Trams

Thank you, Lloyd. It was always going to be a bit unlikely. I'll assume that there isn't anything, then, and I won't go hunting but I'll allow myself to chase up anything if it looks seriously promising. (I know that sounds odd, but has worked before... A "John Chapman" who'd died pre 1841...
  9. C

WARR - Coleshill, Aston, Kings Norton

Part of my family tree is the WARR family. They started off in the Banbury area, but moved up to Coleshill by the early C20th. The death of my great-grandfather, Jason John WARR, was registered in 1931 in Birmingham. He had been a thatcher and was a lay preacher in the Congregational Church...
  10. C

Birmingham Trams

This is a very interesting thread - but my interest is a bit divergent form the main topic... Is there likely to be any trace of personnel records for tram drivers, going back to the early C20th? My grandfather was described as "motorman" on his marriage cert in November 1911, and as "tram...
  11. C

Tip on searching the IGI

For earlier births, it may be worth just putting in the father's name with the batch number. Sadly, some clergy didn't seem to think that the mother's name was important enough to bother entering it! :( Christine
  12. C

Re:"of full age"

Re: "aff" "Aff" is likely to refer to an affidavit to do with being buried in a woollen shroud. It would depend on the date - early C18th?. ...I did some googling and found this link...
  13. C

Re:"of full age"

Re: "of full age" "Of full age" generally refers to the "age of majority. That was 21 until the 1970s. Christine
  14. C

Thank you, again, Mike I had some of that info, but not all - and I'd certainly rather have useful info twice than not at all! It all helps to build the picture. Christine
  15. C

Hello I am helping my niece with her paternal tree. It includes a family where three siblings came over from Germany in 1853 and lived for a while in Birmingham. Johanna MARKS b 1830-1 Germany Moses/Morris MARKS b 4 Mar 1834 Himbach, Germany (m(1) 1853 B'ham, Teresa ROBERTS; m(2) 1862...
Back