• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Chris B

1. Chris B

Birmingham Cinemas

If anyone is interested way back in 2008 and 2012 I wrote an article about my time in the cinema business at The Sheldon and Warwick Cinemas. It can be accessed on this link. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/confessions-of-a-cinema-employee.11240/page-2
  2. Chris B

Birmingham Cinemas

Located in the Handsworth district of Birmingham. The Rookery Picture House was opened on 18th April 1914 with “The White Witch”. It was operated by G.F. McDonald, and was advertised as ‘The Coolest House in the Midlands’. Seating was provided for 700 and the proscenium was 20 feet wide. The...
  3. Chris B

Alum Rock Rd - Ward End area

Yes I remember the T/A Barracks just up from Southalls, can't remember much about them, according to Phil he says :-The Barracks on Alum Rock Rd was on the site of Fern Bank farm just up the road from Southhalls and were a TA barracks, I believe that the farm house remained in the barracks until...
  4. Chris B

Tudor Cinema, Kings Heath

Hope Gran got the coke to ignite, usually coke supplied for commercial use takes forever to ignite with wood and paper as it it is blast fed in commercial boilers.
  5. Chris B

Tudor Cinema, Kings Heath

THE TUDOR CINEMA, Located in Haunch Lane Yardley Wood area in the south of Birmingham. The Tudor Cinema Theatre was opened on 30th March 1929. It was designed by architect Harold Seymour Scott, and was built by W.T. Whittall & Sons Ltd. The exterior of the building was in a Jacobean style, while...
  6. Chris B

Lewis's Department Store

When I was working there in around 1959 the "A" block lifts gates were lattice not quite the same a "B" block but never the less Lattice / Trellis as you put it, I believe they were modernised and enclosed at a later date.
  7. Chris B

Decimalisation In 1971

I was one of the team who trained the store staff at the Birmingham Co-Op in High Street Birmingham
  8. Chris B

Ward End Park

I don't remember a Police Station the FIRESTATION in the big house
  9. Chris B

Birmingham Cinemas

I think the Aston Expressway runs through it
  10. Chris B

Mulliners

sorry Kevin I don't have any other pics or information as Dad and Sid both died a number of years ago, try the Birmingham reference library more out of hope than anger lol.
  11. Chris B

Co-op high st bham

It was called "THE OAK RESTAURANT" when I worked there in the 60s / 70s
  12. Chris B

Co-op high st bham

13. Chris B

Rialto Cinema

THE RIALTO CINEMA Stratford Road and Greenbank Avenue. The Rialto Cinema was opened on 3rd October 1927 with Constance Talmadge in “Breakfast at Sunrise” and Marcella Albani in “Circus Life”. It was owned by the Springfield Picture Playhouse Ltd. Seating was provided in stalls and circle...
  14. Chris B

Kingstanding Odeon

THE ODEON KINGSTANDING Located in Kingstanding, a district near Sutton Coldfield to the north of Birmingham, the Odeon stands on a prominent site at the intersection of several roads. The Odeon opened on 22nd July 1935 with Gary Cooper in "Lives of a Bengal Lancer". The exterior of the building...
  15. Chris B

Villa Cross Cinema

THE VILLA CROSS PICTURE HOUSE THE VILLA CROSS PICTURE HOUSE
Back