• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by charliewag

1. charliewag

Cannon Hill Park

Phil, yes that's it, it had me worried, I thought it was me loosing my mind. It was a great place, but nobody remembers the place.
  2. charliewag

Cannon Hill Park

Any body remember (for the want of a better name) the menagerie, now i'm going back to the 40s and early 50s, it was situated by the bridge over the boating lake,same side of the big bolder, there was peacocks,peahens, golden Pheasants and porcupines witch was my favorites also rabbits and...
  3. charliewag

Mary Street School Balsall Heath

I attended Mary Street School from 1941 till 1947, then left to go to Dennis Road School. The only two teachers I remember at Mary Street, a Miss Middleton and Miss Morgan, the head mistress was a lovey women but I just cannot think of her name, Oops forgot my photos.
  4. charliewag

Clint Eastwood

Photo at the Albany with his wife.
  5. charliewag

Birmingham Anglers' Association

Me and my two daughters 1965, Upton on Severn
  6. charliewag

Dares Brewery

Remember it well, lived a couple of roads up from there, Balsall Heath Road.
  7. charliewag

Gooch Street

I think that picture was taken the top end of Gooch Street, Sherlock Street, by the look of the Maisonette's.
  8. charliewag

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

My next door neighbor Andy McCulloch, Jessie Eden was his auntie, he said when he used to meet when he was a kid he was scared of her .
  9. charliewag

Cycle Speedways

Round about 1952-1953.Couple more photos.
  10. charliewag

Cycle Speedways

A couple of photos of the track in Balsall Heath Road on the old bomb peck. Charlie.
  11. charliewag

Register Office Edmund Street

Me and my late wife where married at the old,old Register Office in Edmund Street on the 5th April 1957, the address is or was 6-14 Edmund Street. I don't think it will much help and I have photo of the build as we took our photo's with little Browne box camera and only three turn out and they...
  12. charliewag

Cycle Speedways

I started the cycle speedway track in Balsall Heath road, That came to be known as the Birmingham Lions, after watching a school mate racing for the Panthers on the BSA site, I came back from there and marked out the track and it all started from then on, I use to ride for the Lions but was no...
  13. charliewag

Prefabs

Use to have a work mate who lived in one of the prefabs in Umberslade Road, they where cracking homes, a little cold in winter though.
  14. charliewag

Playing The Wag

I hated school, but I did play the wag once, but I was so scared in case my father was to find out I did not think it was worth it.
  15. charliewag

Severn Street Schools

My father was a pupil at Seven Street School, this is his leaving certificate.
Back